Micro Focus ALM Quality Center Review

What is most valuable?

A comprehensive solution aiming for total Test management. It has bindings with HP QTP which is a test automation tool. With the addition of BPT (Business Process Testing), QC along with QTP has been the choice for test automation in most of the IT businesses.

How has it helped my organization?

Maintenance of test artifacts becomes messy when there are many scripts and supporting test artifacts. HP QC makes it easier to maintain the scripts and also organize them into various business areas.

What needs improvement?

Backup strategy is lacking in QC. Once the QC server crashes, all your automation artifacts are unrecoverable. Though we can create QC project files to create a backup, there is size limitation when you restore the backup.

4 years and 6 months

Configuration of QC contains a number of steps which could be made simpler. Many of these settings can be default with an option for the user to change them.

Getting to the root cause of any issue with QC is difficult. In many cases, restoring the QC projects is the way to resolve issues. Though HP support is available, it is not immediate.

As with the scalability, there are no issues with QC. It handles multiple connections very easily. And also if there is a crash on one machine where one test artifact is locked, the lock is automatically released in some time. But it would be great if there was recovery options built in after a crash.

The technical support is prompt and understand business urgency.

I have worked on TFS. The features of TFS are limited when compared to QC.

The initial setup was pretty straightforward.

4 Comments

author avatar

Has there been any workaround provided for the backup issue? I am new to the QTP integration and a backup would be a necessity for the size of projects that would be involved.

author avatar

There hasnt been any workaround as per my knowledge. But I cant tell you what we did. We maintain two servers. One would be your QC primary server. And the second would be a mirroring server. So what we do is, everyday at a scheduled time, we take a backup of the QC file system and database and overwrite it in the mirroring server. This has an over head with regard to having two servers but is a fail proof backup system. So you start with creating a close of your QC server into the mirroring server. And make sure you take a file system and database backup before cloning.

Thanks a lot.

author avatar

Any time Peter. Glad to help.