Micro Focus ALM Quality Center Review

The Test Plan/Case module permits assigning of multiple testers to a project and it provides real-time snapshots of project vitals.

What is most valuable?

• Requirements module
  • Test Plan/Case module
  • Defect module
  • Reporting modules
  • API

How has it helped my organization?

• Real-time snapshot of project vitals
  • Reusability of requirements
  • Tests
  • Flexibility in assigning multiple testers to a project, rather than assigning each tester to a test case
  • Seamless on the fly reorganise test projects due to corporate emergencies and shifting priorities

What needs improvement?

• Traceability and version control management
  • Not able to group project deliverables by builds

I've used it for six years.

When we were installing v10, the installation became corrupted. So when we upgraded to v11, it was very expensive, and at our own cost, to do. This was regardless of our maintenance contract with HP.

No issues encountered.

Our vendor is 10/10, but HP is 7/10.

Our vendor is 10/10, but HP is 8/10.

No previous solution was used.

The installation tools are not the best, even for experienced IT/admin, it self-corrupts, and there is no good tech support to help with install issues unless you pay them to fly in a team.

We did it in-house.

It's 300%.

It depends on your vendor. SkyIt was the best, as they were able to get the initial cost low enough so a small startup could afford it.

• IBM
  • JIRA/Test Link

What other advice do I have?

For small companies where audits/lawsuits etc. are not a factor, it's not worth the investment. You should use open source or lower cost alternatives (JIRA project/defect tracking, Test Link open source QC like Test Tool). However, for any company that wants a mature, highly developed platform that is constantly improving, need to survive audits, etc., you must consider HP ALM solutions such as HP Quality Center.

More Micro Focus ALM Quality Center reviews from users