Micro Focus ALM Review
The defect triage and management needs improvement but the entire project test life-cycle can be managed in one place.

Valuable Features:

• End to End traceability (requirements- test cases- defects)
  • Analytics (reporting, charts, dashboards, etc.)
  • Ease of defect management
  • Ease of email alerts, etc.

Improvements to My Organization:

In my last organization we identified HP ALM as our strategic test management tool to standardize tool usage across the organization. Different business teams were using different tools like Bugzilla etc. but with the procurement of HP ALM everything was, eventually, standardized. By means of ALM we were able to deploy some testing standards and processes. Personally, I found ALM very handy for test managers and project managers as an entire project test life-cycle can be managed in one place and leadership get end-end visibility. I also like the reporting function in ALM, very useful.

Room for Improvement:

Overall the user experience of HP ALM is very good, there are some small improvements which can help those who are doing defect triage and management, and also the actual testers who use a test lab. For instance, when I open the defect list using a report or dashboard drill down, I can’t update individual defect without actually opening it. However if I select a defect shortlisting criteria and get a list of matching defects from defect module (defect list view) I can very well update defect log without actually having to open the defect. This seems like a small thing but believe me, when you are dealing with multiple defects and have limited time on a defect triage call, this small functionality really makes your life easy. There a such few small enhancements which HP can probably do to make this wonderful tool even better.

Use of Solution:

I've used it for two years and three months.

Deployment Issues:

Yes, some minor issues but these were not tool issues but more to do with lack of testing after deployment.

Stability Issues:

No, ALM is pretty stable.

Scalability Issues:

Only once but that was because we reached the maximum floating license capacity at a particular time due to many testers from multiple projects logged in at the same time.

I have never had direct interaction with customer service.

Previous Solutions:

I did not personally, but in my previous organization Bugzilla was used. ALM replaced it because it was a complete package, and also the company had bought other HP testing tools like UFT & PC to meet end to end testing needs.

Initial Setup:

I wasn’t the admin for ALM so can’t really comment, but from an user standpoint I found it pretty simple.

Implementation Team:

We had an in-house admin team.

ROI:

I don’t know the ROI in monetary terms, but certainly ALM helped me get more people to follow testing standards and practices.

Other Solutions Considered:

In my current company we have multiple tools. I am currently exploring various options to standardize the tool set up. Some of these tools are JIRA, and Bugtracker, etc.

Other Advice:

If you want AN end to end testing lifecycle product, I think HP is the winner. It has test management (ALM), Automation (UFT) and Performance (PC) testing, and it all is in the bundled package from HP, so all end to end testing needs are managed. From a pure test management standpoint, ALM also stands tall as it provides a very good solution to manage requirements, test cases, defects, traceability and reports, and not just bug management.