Micro Focus ALM Quality Center Review

It has given us end-to-end traceability and controlled changes to data allow for validated processes in a regulated environment.

What is most valuable?

• End-to-End traceability - Request>Test>Result>Defect
  • Versioning
  • Reporting (since v11 when it uses Word templates)

How has it helped my organization?

• Added electronic signature functionality (in-house dev)
  • Controlled changes to data allow for validated processes in a regulated environment (record workflow)

What needs improvement?

• Reporting
  • Drill-up, drill-down works sort-of OK
  • Multi-project reporting
  • User-friendliness, it requires some time to get used to

I've been using it since 2004, when it was known as Mercury Test Director.

7/10.

8/10.

No previous solution used.

It's simple, but customization adopting for a regulated environment is complex as it requires 15,000 lines of code.

It was done in-house.

Review if the all-to-be licensed functionality is needed as certain modules are not used as they introduce needless complexity. You should aim for concurrent licensing if global us is needed as slack periods in one time-zone can be picked up by another.

No other options were evaluated, we just upgraded from Test Director>Quality Center>ALM, and we are planning to upgrade from v11 to v12.

What other advice do I have?

ALM/Quality Center is expensive, but it has its value and, in certain cases, the Enterprise edition is way too much, but it is very stable and reliable. You should review v12 Webclient solution for requirements management.