Micro Focus ALM Review

When it records a test, it will produce analyses to do cross-project reporting. This becomes a large repository of data and information that's valuable for us to make necessary improvements.

Valuable Features

The most valuable feature for us is probably the full Oracle component of ALM. It allows our users to be connected to other products.

Improvements to My Organization

We're able to use it with UFT/QTP for defect management. When it records a test, ALM will produce analyses to do cross-project reporting. This becomes a large repository of data and information that's valuable for us to make necessary improvements.

Room for Improvement

I'd like to see them move away from a desktop-type client and towards a web-based client, although we've also had ActiveX issues with web clients.

Use of Solution

ALM, as a group, has probably been in use for 10 years plus.

Once installed, no issues with deployment.

The application itself tends to be very stable, but when switching to an open-source website, that's where the issues are. So it's not so much the core application having issues. For example, you may find that it would be an Oracle issue and not an ALM issue. But really there are very few occurrences, even after all these years, of a serious application fault.

Scalability is fine. We have in the region 15,000 registered users and up to 2,200 concurrent users of ALM. We don't really have any scalability issues.

Any issues would have to do with what a certain server application is up to. You just need to keep an eye on it.

We have the higher level, premium support. Technical support tends to be quick and reactive to issues and we don't have any major issues with it.

As large as it is, it's pretty straightforward to put in and you can configure it in probably less than an hour.

Other Advice

My advice would be to research the full system requirements you need for the initial install. In corporate environments, once you've got it up and running, it's more difficult to get off of it. Also, plan to scale up based on projected CPU and space that you'll need to get.