Micro Focus ALM Review

We can customize based on the project and on how we want to control the testing

What is most valuable?

The most valuable thing is the flexibility of the customized options. That makes it more powerful than any other tool. We can customize based on the project and on how we want to control the testing.

How has it helped my organization?

We used to have 10 different Excel spreadsheets for one project. Then, we switched everything: paper, Excel, etc. to be done in ALM. There is no outside noise and everything is done under one umbrella.

What needs improvement?

The canned report site could be improved. You can get your report but you have to do some stuff. If the project doesn't have a good, strong user, they don't get these reports. If we have more canned reports from the ALM site, this will solve some issues.

We have been using the ALM call center since the Mercury times, so the last 10 to 12 years.

It's very stable. In last 12 years, we've probably had two/three downtimes. But, nothing concerning their application.

Yeah, it is scalable. 10 years back, we started with five users. Now, we have 38 confirmed licenses. Over the years, we have grown from having just a few projects to having more than 25 large projects.

Our experience with the HPE support was not great. We have not used Micro Focus yet. Based on that, we switch to a consulting firm, Melillo, for the support because we were not getting direct answer from the HPE support, therefore we switched because of that. Now, we get a better service. Hopefully, with Micro Focus, it will be better.

If someone is doing the setup for the first time, it might be a little complex for them. However, if you are continuously upgrading, then it should be fine, because all of our upgrades we have done in-house. We never went to a company to get that bit done. If you plan it right, you can have the upgrade very smoothly done, so the user isn't affected.

What other advice do I have?

Most important criteria when selecting a vendor: support and stability of the product. These are the two most important things to us. We want to have continuous improvement, because there are places to improve; we also don't want rapid changes, because they do affect the user, so that balance is important.