Micro Focus ALM Review

Allows us to customize any action, window, or workflow meeting all our testing needs

What is most valuable?

We mostly use the Defect module and then Test Plan, Test Lab. But if you ask about the most valuable feature it is the customization of any action in the ALM client. We can customize any action, window, or workflow of not only the Defect workflow but also any other entity. There is no other tool that can do it in such a way.

How has it helped my organization?

The testing methodology we use means we do not need any other tool for requirements, testing and so on.

What needs improvement?

• Dashboard complexity
  • Quick generation (for many entities the reports are very slow)
  • Test Lab is very complex, it should be simpler

We used it for more than 10 years (from version 8 as Test Director from Mercury).

The clients, of course, are not stable, but it is acceptable.

Scalability is not a problem at this time because the hardware is better than the software needs.

Technical support is good.

Yes, we used Rational ClearQuest. It was very customizable too but it was old and tough and we need a better and more elegant solution.

Initial setup is very simple, but the upgrade on Linux is impossible so we moved to Windows.

Pricing is very big, so it's good is to negotiate with its vendors. The solution is not so important and should not cost so much.

Yes, we evaluated three other options but it was about 10 years ago and it is not relevant now to specify them here. The other options also have very good solutions.

What other advice do I have?

Do the simple implementation, do not customize it because you will have more problems.