Micro Focus Configuration Management Review

Helpful impact analysis and the discovery capability is quite good

What is our primary use case?

This solution is used for configuration management, which supports your change and incident management processes. It is quite good with change management because you can easily run an impact analysis if you're planning for a change. Because you are using the solution's integration management, it ensures that your CIs and CSIs in the virtual state are the same as they are in the authorized state.

You have to monitor your network and it is quite good if you have some automation on-premises because if something happens then you can remediate the incident based on the root cause.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the impact analysis.

The discovery capability is quite good.

What needs improvement?

The native UI should be simplified because it is outdated and a little bit over-complicated. The CMS UI is quite good, but it's an add-on.

Using the containerized version should not depend on the container deployment function (CDF). I should be able to use my existing Kubernetes cluster, for example.

I have been using this solution since 2007 when it was known as HP CMS.

There are some bugs, but that's to be expected of any software. I have never had a critical issue that stopped my solution from working.

Technical support is definitely good. When I have contacted them, I had my cases solved on time.

I am currently working on ServiceNow, which is the same type of solution but the software as a service model. It's in the cloud and you don't deploy anything. Basically, you just request an instance and start using the solution. It's quite similar, but it's not an on-premises solution so you need some components installed in your network for discovery.

The initial setup is not complex in any way, shape, or form. If you follow the process it is straightforward. Especially now, there is a containerized version, which is quite simple to install.

This solution can be deployed on the cloud but it is not a SaaS, as such. You have to install it yourself and then if you're using Universal Discovery, you deploy those agents on your on-premises network to fully learn it.

This is a really good tool for the money.

What other advice do I have?

This tool works hand-in-hand with RPA technology. RPA will allow you to control your servers by deploying the server automation agent. You don't have the discovery, but then you can deploy the policies that maintain the authorized versus current state. On top of that, you can use server automation to deploy patches or remediate configuration issues on the operating system.

My advice to anybody who is implementing this solution is to ensure that the process is set up properly, first. Once the process is set up, the tool will do the rest for you.

Overall, this is a comprehensive tool that works well, and I wouldn't touch it other than to enhance the UI and make containerization work without the CDF.

I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.