Micro Focus Content Manager Review

Provides the ability to manage retention and disposition. I think it should be easier to set security/access at all levels.

What is most valuable?

• Audit events on documents, folders
  • Ability to manage retention, disposition
  • Sharing documents, setting security on documents and folders
  • User labels (we wish they were ‘shareable’)

How has it helped my organization?

• Sharing of documents
  • Reduction of duplication
  • Ability to manage retention, disposition and overall records management

What needs improvement?

• Easier to set security/access at all levels.
  • Make the job of the administrator managing the system easier (client setup, position setup, org changes).
  • The system options > Permissions tab for each user type: There are too many permissions with our recent upgrade that were ‘clumped together’ that make it difficult to manage what people in the system can do (e.g., Records Coordinators’ vs Records Managers’ ability for document deletion and removal).
  • Copying datasets is difficult and time-consuming
  • Enhancement requests that have been submitted are either not implemented or take a very long time to be implemented (we’ve stopped submitting them because of this).
  • Emails used to be stored in VMBX format (now it is MSG format): This is problematic when trying to pull the emails out of HPE RM.
  • Compound/linked files (e.g., InDesign, Dreamweaver, AutoCAD, linked Excel): When filed in HPE RM, the links are broken. This means that several departments at my organization cannot use HPE RM for their documents.
  • Help file is not very helpful and has room for improvement.

I have used it since Sept. 2008.

It is hard to get technical support when you try to integrate HPE RM with other products. For example, when implementing a third-party load balancer, the response time was impacted significantly. It is a gray area between technical support and/or consulting, HPE did not provide much support.

Generally speaking, HPE’s support for the product has been weak since the acquisition from TOWER Software. There is a large gap between 1st-level support and the often-required 3rd-tier support. Escalation is often onerous and HPE seems to be focused on closing tickets rather than solving issues. More technical issues that need to go beyond support to the development group are extremely difficult to move forward.

We have not encountered any scalability issues.

The first level of technical support is not very helpful. All support calls have to go through the first level of support unless you purchase premium support. The application has a complex architecture with lots of arcane configuration settings. Complex issues often fall into the “try this” trap, which can cause serious impacts.

There was no document management system for the entire organization. However, one department (legal) was using Worldox, due the integration with their case management system.

• Issues with setting up and getting the retention schedule triggers to work: The help menu was not helpful and this was not a part of the basic configuration that was initially set up with the consultants.
  • Management of multiple offices of primary responsibility (OPR): In our system, we have multiple OPRs, and HPE RM clients were using the owner to manage only one OPR.

The licensing model changed from the original model when we purchased the product. Initially, there was one license type (expensive) and you controlled what the user could do through the user security configuration. The new model breaks the licenses into multiple types, from Admin (full access) down to Read Only. Each successive level has functional areas they are prescribed from using. You will need to map those functions against your internal planned security wants to ensure you are buying the correct license type. For us, other than a handful of Read Only licenses, all new purchases tend to be at least the Records Manager level, as (for us) the lower license type are missing key capabilities.

Hummingbird document management was the only other shortlisted vendor. Others may have been in the initial RFP process. Keep in mind that we initiated it in 2008.

What other advice do I have?

Fully understand the impact of how you set up the system; for example, the internal locations directory, security groups, security/access on different levels (classification, folder).

1 Comment
Joseppi MammolitiReal User

Sharing documents in HPE CM/RM is available with RM Workspace www.rmworkspace.com.au. Used by over 15 agencies in Australian Federal Government.

23 February 17