Micro Focus Content Manager Review
I like the records management tracking and workflows. I would like to see a smarter workflow tool.

What is most valuable?

Records management tracking and workflows.

How has it helped my organization?

• Eliminated the need for paper records.
  • Increased compliance with our internal approval processes.
  • Helped us with grant, contract approval, and retention.
  • The workflow routes the contract/grant through our legal group and then on to the department and/or finance department and/or city manager for approval.
  • Can use the workflow to see where in the process their contract/grant is and where it may have gotten stalled.
  • The contract/grant route is dependent on what kind of document it is, what agency it is with, and the cost.
  • Helps with the filing of the records and to track and close contract tasks.
  • Our agency doesn’t want too many different workflows: It gets confusing for users to decide which one to use.
  • Too many options on the workflow for users to select

What needs improvement?

• Having a workflow tool that is a little bit smarter. This means being able to leverage the metadata entered about a record in order to make workflow decisions.
  • Having a workflow template designer that didn’t require adding in a whole lot of steps in order to make the circuit work.
  • The retention tool is probably fine. It just needs a lot of trial and error to get more comfortable. That is probably a user issue on my end with me.
  • The reporting tool is very clunky and it is hard to make it do what I want it to do.
  • There is very little information in the online help. Just this week I was trying to build a report that would have a simple signature line at the report end with some standard text. I was limited to how much text each box could have. I couldn’t find a simple way to set a margin for the report that wouldn’t have the signature line drop off the page.
  • Trying to figure out which versions of which fields to add to the report.
  • Tying everything to the “bands” isn’t that intuitive either.

I have used HPE Content Manager since 2006.

The product is very stable.

We have not had scalability issues.

Technical support is very frustrating. It is difficult to get a good response from HPE and even more difficult to find anyone that can really help us with the product.

It doesn’t fail often. When it does, it is usually something unusual and out of scope for our regular group that handles common errors.

The initial setup was complex.

Make sure this is really a product you are going to use fully. Otherwise, you are paying for a lot for a product that won’t get utilized.

We evaluated EMC and OpenText.

What other advice do I have?

You can’t pre-plan enough on how you want to organize the records. The more planning you put into the implementation, the more you will get from the product. Don’t discount the amount of hand-holding and change management your organization might need.