Micro Focus Content Manager Review
When dragging and dropping multiple items at once, a Queue window is bought up. There is no integration with social media.

What is most valuable?

Drag and drop: With users having dual screens nowadays, this functionality is used a lot by staff and is also a good way to show people who are new to TRIM (HPE Content Manager) the simplicity of how things can be done. It is also handy if your MS Outlook integration breaks or crashes; the drag and drop of an email into TRIM usually still works. Then you can fix the actual problem with the integration later, as it becomes less of a priority. It is also handy to show people how they can drag and drop from the desktop (or network share) into TRIM, as well as drag and drop internally within TRIM. When dragging and dropping multiple items at once, a TRIM Queue window is bought up, which is pretty neat.

The online audit log is part of the reason people buy and use TRIM, as there is a requirement to have an audit trail. The audit trail is very handy, though, to be able to see exactly what has occurred when there is a problem or issue. The audit trail does not lie. Also, when sending out information in emails, I attach a TRIM reference in the email to the actual information, which is in TRIM. I can then see who has actually looked at the information via the online audit log rather than wonder who has actually read it.

How has it helped my organization?

Simple workflows (actions/procedures) such as “Review” and “Approve” are better than multiple copies in various iterations existing within emails. The “Actions” also replaced the need for a signature (for internal documents), which means there is no printing of paper, signing, and scanning back in as a PDF.

What needs improvement?

There is no integration with social media. Functionality gets removed as new versions are released. The full client has had no new functionality since HPE bought it in 2008; only functions and features removed. (Document Assembly, Web Content Management, long-term email preservation format VMBX, all removed. The Meeting Manager was rendered useless.) A simple and important feature was to be able to default a record type at the document level. This can no longer be done with the release of HPE Content Manager. This means you now have to teach everyone about record types, and therefore records management, which they may not be interested in. So you lose them at the start, rather than just being able to keep things simple, such as default record type.

I have used the current and previous versions since 1997.

The database configuration would need to be redeployed to servers after a restart, even though everything looked OK and reported as OK. Clients could not resolve the data-source until the configuration was redeployed.

We have not encountered scalability issues.

I haven’t used technical support that much, but the times I did use it, it was OK.

We did not have a previous solution.

Initial setup was straightforward.

Try and do a deal. The prices may seem fixed, but are not really, and if you can get hold of an account manager and say “this price or nothing”, then you might be able to strike a deal, especially if you offer to pay maintenance as if you bought it for the full price.

We did not evaluate alternatives.

What other advice do I have?

Know what you are doing from an information management (IM) perspective. The IT side of it is easy. If you get the IM components wrong, or not optimised, then you usually become part of the problem that the solution is trying to solve.