Micro Focus Content Manager Review

Difficult to learn, poor technical support, and needs better integration with SharePoint

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use is Records Management, with a secondary push by some to use it for all document management to include all draft work and convenience copies.

How has it helped my organization?

We are required to have a robust Records Management system. It does this job. We had it integrated with HPRM ver 8.3, but dropped the integration when we moved to HPE-CM 9.1.  Integration was not well documented.

What is most valuable?

It has a robust search but has often been difficult for people to learn.

What needs improvement?

This is a client-side app, and a web-based app would be easier to support.

Easier integration with SharePoint and other apps would be an improvement.

Our Organization has had it since 1999 as TRIM, by Tower. I personally, for 5 years.

The stability is reasonable. Although, like any software, it has areas to improve. It seams sensitive to configuration changes. Misconfiguration causes problems very quickly.

I don't know the server model enough to know if it is scalable. I have brought up the topic with a Micro Focus sales rep and did not get much of a response.

For our organization to fully utilize HPE-CM, we'd need a more robust server farm.

Over the earlier owners, the support was lacking and we had to use third-party vendors. We are using a third now and have had no interaction with Micro Focus directly.

We did not use another solution prior to this one.

We contracted it out to avoid problems with complexity.

We used a vendor team for implementation. They seemed reasonably well versed in the system, although there were a couple of misconfigurations that caused downstream issues.

Hard for us to gage. We are required to have a RM program. This system eats up a lot of staff time for support, administration, and use.

I would suggest that you do a thorough evaluation of all competing products and look for support for these products in your local area.

What other advice do I have?

Due to very limited use in the industry, vendor and contract support are hard to find. We are using a consultant on the East coast which is four time zones away.

There is more call for this product in Australia. The development of the product has moved to the UK.

US support will probably remain spotty.

This product has changed hands twice, from Tower to HP and then to Micro Focus. This has made support more difficult for us.

Setup within the system is important. We have many users that really dislike the system, and I believe much of that has been due to setup and training.