Micro Focus Data Protector Review

An automated backup and recovery software with an easily manageable file system backup, but the scheduler setup could be better

What is our primary use case?

We use Micro Focus Data Protector to back up all our infra servers, plus file share and some VM backup.

What is most valuable?

The normal file system backup is easy to manage, and our success rate is quite high.

What needs improvement?

The scheduler setup could be better. We are facing some issues scheduling the job based on our requirements. Furthermore, if we want to change something, we have to run it through all the policies one by one. They don't have a central place to modify and apply it to all the policies. The virtual environment backup could also be better.

I have been using Micro Focus Data Protector for four years.

It's a stable solution, but every upgrade is such a headache. For example, we currently have to upgrade to a new version, but somehow the connection to storage isn't happening because there are issues with the library.

Micro Focus Data Protector is scalable. It's quite simple as we can just add on more media to fulfill all the requirements. Right now, a few thousand people use this solution in our organization.

We had a few cases through email, but one pain point is that they always go through to level one, go to level two, and so on. They spend a lot of time explaining what's going on before the problem is solved.

Previously, we used Veritas Backup Exec. So, compared to Veritas Backup Execs, it's a little bit cheaper.

The initial setup is quite straightforward, like Master Media Server.

Our licensing is on a capacity basis.

What other advice do I have?

I wouldn't recommend Micro Focus Data Protector to be used as a cloud backup. But for on-premise and file share use, it's quite okay.

On a scale from one to ten, I would give Micro Focus Data Protector a seven.

Version 10.42
More Micro Focus Data Protector reviews from users
...who compared it with Commvault
Learn what your peers think about Micro Focus Data Protector. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: July 2021.
522,281 professionals have used our research since 2012.