Micro Focus Data Protector Review

It's allowed us to send sensitive information offsite, although it could use better documentation on how to backup the device itself through a flash drive or CD.

What is most valuable?

The GUI is nice. However, the command line options are more important when setting up customize backups and restores in a custom scripts routine.

How has it helped my organization?

We are required to send sensitive information offsite, and Data Protector has made it easy to meet this requirement.

What needs improvement?

Better documentation on how to backup the device itself through a flash drive or CD.

I've used HP Data Protector, formerly OmniBack, since 1997.

No issues encountered.

No problems after I upgraded to v7. On version 6.10, it would not bar-scan a pool correctly. After upgrading, I no longer had the issue.

No issues encountered. What I like about it is that you are licensed per drives not how many clients/agents are installed. It can support various filesystem types (HFS, VXFS, Windows, etc.), and use a databases utility like RMAN to backup to other disk or tapes.

9.5/10.

9.5/10.

For the projects I support, I used Data Protector. Other projects used BackupExec. However; Backup Exec is very limited of what it can support in filesystem types and even operating system support matrix.

It's straightforward for me.

We implemented it through an in-house team of only one member. They were very knowledgeable, with over 20+ years of system administrator experience and knowledge.

My personal satisfaction is that the products work as intended.

The licensing is based on your primary purpose, what type of cloning environment you are utilizing, and if it is a disk to disk copy etc. The technical assistance should help with your decision.

Evaluated Backup Exec and it is limited in what it supports.

What other advice do I have?

Evaluate your need first of all. We are a small government shop, and the needs are limited here. However, Data Protector can do much more.

More Micro Focus Data Protector reviews from users