Micro Focus Data Protector Review

It's allowed us to send sensitive information offsite, although it could use better documentation on how to backup the device itself through a flash drive or CD.

Valuable Features

The GUI is nice. However, the command line options are more important when setting up customize backups and restores in a custom scripts routine.

Improvements to My Organization

We are required to send sensitive information offsite, and Data Protector has made it easy to meet this requirement.

Room for Improvement

Better documentation on how to backup the device itself through a flash drive or CD.

Use of Solution

I've used HP Data Protector, formerly OmniBack, since 1997.

No issues encountered.

No problems after I upgraded to v7. On version 6.10, it would not bar-scan a pool correctly. After upgrading, I no longer had the issue.

No issues encountered. What I like about it is that you are licensed per drives not how many clients/agents are installed. It can support various filesystem types (HFS, VXFS, Windows, etc.), and use a databases utility like RMAN to backup to other disk or tapes.

9.5/10.

9.5/10.

For the projects I support, I used Data Protector. Other projects used BackupExec. However; Backup Exec is very limited of what it can support in filesystem types and even operating system support matrix.

It's straightforward for me.

Implementation Team

We implemented it through an in-house team of only one member. They were very knowledgeable, with over 20+ years of system administrator experience and knowledge.

ROI

My personal satisfaction is that the products work as intended.

Pricing, Setup Cost and Licensing

The licensing is based on your primary purpose, what type of cloning environment you are utilizing, and if it is a disk to disk copy etc. The technical assistance should help with your decision.

Other Solutions Considered

Evaluated Backup Exec and it is limited in what it supports.

Other Advice

Evaluate your need first of all. We are a small government shop, and the needs are limited here. However, Data Protector can do much more.