Micro Focus Data Protector Review

A lot of customization is possible through the configuration files and script integration, although it should provide the ability to personalize the GUI by adding desired columns.

What is most valuable?

• Integration with a lot of OS and applications, e.g. SAP, Oracle, Exchange, SQL Server, SharePoint, VMware, Unix, Linux etc.
  • Very reliable SAP and Oracle integration.
  • Licensing is based on a backup library/drive instead of a licensing model based on the involved servers. This library centric model allow you to add some new backup procedures very quickly.
  • Intuitive user interface
  • Easy and reliable client agents installation
  • Backup log files accurate and clear
  • A lot of customization is possible through the configuration files and script integration
  • Preview for backup and restore
  • A powerful CLI interface is also available

How has it helped my organization?

• Fantastic SAP backup resilience and reliability
  • Offline and on-line consistent backup possibilities
  • Oracle log treatments for archive log mode databases
  • Affordable restores with preview possibilities

What needs improvement?

• Reports
  • Possibilities to personalize the GUI adding desired columns
  • Windows image backup (similar to Symantec Backup Exec System Recovery that allows you to restore an entire Windows system through the network without the need to create DVD or boot devices)

We've used it for 10 years, starting with v5.1.

No, but it depends on the application platform you want to work on.

No. Recently I accidentally destroyed my backup server and the HP technicians restored my backup server in the entirety in a few hours using Data Protector's own backup. We often use Data Protector for disaster recovery tests, and the results were always successful.

No issues encountered.

They're honest and helpful.

Until last year it was very good, but in 2015 we felt a drop in service because some technical resources disappeared.

In the past we used the different manual operating system approach. We also used Symantec Backup Exec System Recovery to backup Windows images and files. Our schema is a specific tool for OS system images (Symantec Backup Exec System Recovery for Windows OS, to do net recovery for HP Unix OS) and Data Protector for the data.

It's a very simple deployment on file systems, Exchange, SQL server, and VMware, and more difficult on SharePoint, SAP and Oracle, and even these difficulties are derived from the Applications architecture itself. It depends on how large is your backup scope; the wider it is, the more time you need to dedicate to the implementation of the product. However, the Initial set-up itself is not complex.

We implemented the initial version of the product through a vendor team. They were experts, and helpful, and we have done some upgrade projects within the team.

We implement the initial version of the product through a vendor team, the team was expert and helpful, we also have some upgrade projects with the team.

The licensing approach is very convenient and useful because if you purchase the license based on physical drives, you can backup everything on them. If a new server application is deployed, you can start backup to it immediately. Other license, possibilities are available, for example if you have some D2D appliance you can acquire licenses based on the per-terabyte approach. The maintenance contract grows every year by 5%.

No, but we know different customers that use more popular backup product like Legato, Tivoli, and Netbackup. Often, they tell us that these products are good but very expensive or complex to use. Often when competitors suppliers visit us for marketing, they always says that Data Protector is not an enterprise backup solution. This is a typical vendor approach and I really think that this is not true because in our experience, Data Protector does its work well, and this is what a customer need.

What other advice do I have?

Trust in Data Protector. It's probable that HP doesn't push it enough in marketing but the product works well.

Backup View by Type