Micro Focus Data Protector Review

It provides us with Sharepoint item-level restore and assurances that the backup procedure is actually working. I'd like to see an updated GUI in the next release.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features include Sharepoint item-level restore and integration with the vSphere hypervisor.

How has it helped my organization?

It provides us with more assurances that the backup procedure is actually working.

What needs improvement?

The user interface as the GUI is out-of-date and should be updated in the next release.

I've used it for four or five years.

We had some issues with the Exchange agent, but this was resolved with HP support.

No issues encountered.

Tech support varies a bit depending on who takes the call. Generally speaking, it’s at a professional level.

We previously used CA Arcserve.

The product is somewhat complex because of container object permission inheritance. Compared to a “normal” Windows software, it was a bit more complicated.

Implementation was done by a value added reseller (VAR) and their level of expertise was adequate.

In theory, the pricing structure is quite simple: just pick what you need. But the price tag might be a little on the high side.

We also evaluated Symantec Backup Exec.

What other advice do I have?

Get a professional to do the initial configuration and, after that, you can continue on your own.