Micro Focus Data Protector Review

What is most valuable?

Integrations with others systems are the most valuable feature. With a little setup, you can connect and make online backups of entire structures like SAP/Oracle/MS Exchange.

How has it helped my organization?

Data Protector allows us to improve our SLA in successful backups and the reporting tools integrated with our management console make possible 99% backup success in our clients.

What needs improvement?

The product could be better in a "policy assignment". Each job requires you to have your own device selection, and it takes a lot of setup work in a large environment.

I've used it for five years.

No, Data Protector is very easy to deploy itself. The final touches are more complicated because of the specificity of each environment.

The StoreOnce software has a few problems with housekeeping jobs, requiring us to contact support.

The software itself is a very robust solution. The database in new PostgreSQL architecture allows a large cell without problems.

The customer service works well, but we don’t have a lot of specialists/vendors here in Brazil.

We never have problems with technical support.

We have a lot of customers who migrated to Data Protector. The main motive was cost X benefit of the solution. Data Protector is a simple software with a very huge potential to attend to mid-high businesses.

Initial setup was very simple. With GUI or Command Line Interface, it's just a few steps and the software is installed and ready for the setup the jobs.

We always implement in-house. We had a bad experience with a vendor team's lack of expertise.

Licensing of HP Data Protector is one of the best things about this product. We have a lot of flexibility to choose TB or number, Online Extension, etc. Also, one Cell Manager license grants unlimited file system backups, so you can use one or a number of licenses in a small environment. This makes the product very attractive.

Yes, we evaluated BackupExec and ArcServer, which are better in some ways, but lost to Data Protector in a lot of ways.

What other advice do I have?

Stay in focused to make things work simply and use the software feature without fear. Data Protector offers a lot of customization, so know your environment particularities before setup and optimize the functions.

96% SLA from another big environment extract directly from Data Protector

99% SLA in backup success – Dashboard from our management console (comparing with other solutions in a same client)

Session prints showing the high de-dup levels in VEPA backups with StoreOnce Software