Micro Focus Data Protector Review

There are several valuable features, such as integrations with SQL, Oracle, Exchange, and VMware​.​ Granular Recovery is really difficult to install and configure.

What is most valuable?

There are several valuable features, such as the integrations with SQL, Oracle, Exchange, VMware, as well as the copy-jobs/replication features.

How has it helped my organization?

Data Protector has provided us with somewhat reliable backups for our environment, but it otherwise has not really improved our organization's functions.

What needs improvement?

The Virtual Environment backups still need major improvements. They are working much more smoothly now, but we still get error messages without explanations. More often than not, the jobs fail when other products on the market actually excel at these types of backups.

Granular Recovery and Smart Cache are huge improvements but don’t always work perfectly, and Granular Recovery is really difficult to install and configure. The documentation makes it sound easy, but it never works on the first attempt.

I’ve been working with Data Protector since version 3.5, about 12 years.

There are always issues with deployments and it's never the same issue twice. Most are easy to resolve, but some issues are very frustrating. Again, most revolve around virtual environments.

Since we implemented the new PostgreSQL database, Data Protector's stability has greatly improved.

We've had no issues with scalability since implementing the PostgreSQL database.

The customer service is fine, we are an HP reseller, so we get good service. If anything takes too long to resolve, we usually have internal connections that help us.

Tech support is not very fast at resolving issues and it takes a long time for them to get anywhere. Usually calls opened about Data Protector tae at least 2-3 weeks before they get resolved. I’ve also had calls open for 2 months with no resolution. This needs to improve and at some level, the support persons need more background knowledge on this product. Also, always having to deal with level one support can be frustrating especially when you know the product very well and are certified in it. Sometimes the questions we are asked make it sound like we are children.

I’m a consultant and have used many different backup solutions. Since we are an HP reseller, we tend to favor Data Protector. However, I must say, other solutions in the industry do a much better job in certain areas.

The initial installation is straight forward. The complexity begins when the backup clients are added and backup jobs start to get configured. That’s when all the error messages start appearing.

We are an HP reseller and are certified in this product. We generally do the deployments for our customers.

Pricing is fairly competitive. Licensing can start to become expensive depending on the features required. If many features are required, then usually competitors have a better price.

We usually evaluate other vendor products in backups environment. The top ones are Veeam and Commvault.

What other advice do I have?

Be ready for an exercise in frustration, but once all the problems are resolved, then you’re OK.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: We're an HP reseller.