Micro Focus Data Protector Review

We like the central, single pane of glass that allows us to manage our clients without having to log into their systems.

Valuable Features

The most valuable feature for us is the central, single pane of glass that allows us to manage our clients without having to log into their systems. It's a really good feature for us.

Improvements to My Organization

It reduced the backup times so that the database admins use the backup door to perform restores. Previously, to perform a database refresh, we'd have to wait hours for the restore to complete. Data Protector has reduced that time down to an hour-and-a-half. That's good.

Room for Improvement

It integrates with the 3PAR product well and with other major vendors such as EMC and NetApp. We use 3PAR, but we haven't fully integrated it with Data Protector yet. Data Protector itself is pretty complete. I'm on version 9.05, the latest version, and I haven't really encountered any deficiencies.

While technically it's a good product, the technical support is an area that could use a lot of improvement. We've had communication issues with support staff being unable to speak English, though I understand that HP's been working on this.

We haven't had any issues with deployment.

We can have everything up at night so that the database admins can kick off backup jobs automatically, whereas previously the jobs were stuck in the process. The database is backed up every 15 minutes and there are roughly 1,600 backup jobs per day that go through the system. It's quite reliable, more so than other solutions we've used.

We've had no issues scaling it.

Although we're lucky in that we haven't really had to contact technical support, it's quite variable when we've called in. Many of them don't speak English very well, so communication is a definite issue. I know they're trying to improve in this area because they've asked me.

Once you understand how the pieces fit together, it makes sense. When we purchased Data Protector, we also purchased installation assistance. I'd certainly recommend that to get the setup right. Information transfer is very important.

Implementation Team

We implemented with a vendor team, which I'd recommend because they'll train you or install it for you themselves.

Pricing, Setup Cost and Licensing

They have a small charge for client licenses, which is good. It depends on what licensing model you have, whether you have a capacity-based licensing or have to pay for each separate component.

Other Advice

It works best if you've also combined it with StoreOnce. You could use it with Data Domain, too. A lot of customers still have Cape by Verizon, and we wanted to get away from that and go to a digital solution. If you're going through a digital solution, I would recommend you include StoreOnce at the time of purchase. We didn't do that. StoreOnce actually does come with the product, so you can do a software StoreOnce. That works okay. You get better performance if you have a physical device than going through a software StoreOnce.

Obviously, it depends on your budget, too, and that's really the reason why we didn't purchase the physical StoreOnce when we got the Data Protector. It would be better if you can get it all together.