Micro Focus Data Protector Review
Since it has the capability to do seamless integration with each of the OS's and hypervisors, this makes it a complete solution for my environment.

Valuable Features:

I have a multi operating system and multi virtualization platform infrastructure which includes Windows, Linux, HP Unix, VMware, Hyper-V, HP VM, etc. Since HP Data Protector has the capability to do seamless integration with each of the OS's and hypervisors, this makes it a complete solution for my environment. This feature is really valuable for me.

Improvements to My Organization:

I have been using this product for my customer’s infrastructure. It has helped to keep away backup-related concerns and has provided consistent backup for a long time without intervention and with much less administration. The reporting feature keeps you updated about the backup status.

Room for Improvement:

I have SUSE XEN virtualization set up in my environment. HP Data Protector does not provide integration with it, and I would like to see it integrate with XEN in a future release. I would also like to see an improvement in its user management. I am still not able to integrate its user authentication with Active Directory even after talking to support from HP.

Use of Solution:

I have been using HP Data Protector for almost three years.

Deployment Issues:

There have been no issues with the deployment.

Stability Issues:

There have been no issues with the stability.

Scalability Issues:

There have been no issues with the scalability.

The customer support is quite responsive and often able to handle issues technically. In rare cases, the case will be escalated.

Previous Solutions:

I haven't used any other products on such a large scale.

Initial Setup:

The initial setup was quite easy.

Implementation Team:

I was able to deploy it myself when I was a first time user of the product. The documentation of the product is quite impressive.

ROI:

I found the product really useful and it fulfills almost all of my needs which is ROI for me.

Cost and Licensing Advice:

Licensing of the product is component-wise; I found it quite expensive when it comes to online backup.

Other Advice:

People should consider the infrastructure size and type before selecting the product. It is quite good for managing a multi-technology infrastructure.

1 Comment

it_user330393Real User

Xen support has been around for a while. I remember using it when I was in China in 2012. It's just a bunch of scripts to use as pre-exec and post-exec commands on a filesystem backup. You can find them on the DP7 or DP8.0 media (there's a folder called "Xen"). If you can't find them I can probably dig them up for you.

If the problem with your AD integration is the cn has a space in it, try these instructions: http://blog.ifost.org.au/2015/07/configuring-data-protector-with-ldap.html

18 March 16