Micro Focus Data Protector Review

​It gives a good overview of which tape library and tape drives are connected.

Valuable Features:

It’s a very user friendly, easy to understand restore platform. The good thing about DP is that there is a Windows GUI version. This saves a lot of time and effort when one is learning on recovering using commands. The report generated by DP is very detailed as well.

Improvements to My Organization:

It gives a good overview of which tape library and tape drives are connected, and gives you the ability to restore selected portions of the tape and not necessarily the whole tape. You can even control the tape library using this software.

Room for Improvement:

When you unplug a laptop with the GUI version from the network, the restoration status will be terminated and will not update even if you try to connect it back. Which means to say, that I need to leave my laptop on and connected throughout the whole restore process, so that I can keep track of the restore status. There could have been an existing workaround for this, not that I know of one.

Deployment Issues:

I haven't had any issues with deployment.

Stability Issues:

See the above Areas for Improvement.

Scalability Issues:

I haven't had any issues with scalability.

Other Advice:

Overall, when compared with other restore solutions, I can say most of the good features are packed inside a software that has a small footprint.