Micro Focus Data Protector Review

HPE is letting this product slip away. My recommendation to them is to start investing in it.

Valuable Features

The ability to run multiple jobs to multiple devices and systems is the best part of this system. The limit is the hardware that the software runs on.

Improvements to My Organization

In recent years, I would say this product has held us back rather than improving us. However, I would say also that the biggest improvement is its ability to back up the ESXi hosts over the SAN fabric as long as the disks are presented to the backup host.

Room for Improvement

This product is lagging behind most of its competitors. It is still expensive to add features and the ESXi integration is terrible -- you have to restore a whole VMDK to then get the ability to restore a file. There is no library of ESXi servers and the plug-in fails most of the time.

The integration into core products -- Exchange, SharePoint, and VMware, being some -- is just not as good as other vendors.

We've had no issues deploying it.

The database is vastly improved and it's much more stable. Rarely does it get corrupted like in the older versions.

We haven't had issues scaling it.

HP moved the support and, with it, any faith of any resolution to most tickets. It takes days to get something solved as you battle with the automated emails from the tier ½ support people.

Pricing, Setup Cost and Licensing

It's expensive to add features.

Other Advice

The product is very stable and will work. However, it has lacked serious funding over the years and other products have overtaken it.

My advice to HPE is to start investing as you are letting this great product slip away.