Micro Focus Data Protector Review
Newer versions have a resume feature that allows you to continue from the point of failure, instead of ruining the whole partition in case of a “restart failed objects“ error.

Valuable Features

Restarting the failed session, where you don’t need to run a whole selection list backup.

Newer DP versions even have a resume feature, which should allow you to continue from the point of failure, instead of ruining the whole partition in case of a “restart failed objects“ error.

Room for Improvement

There are lots of bugs around; inability to downgrade version, issues with version upgrades, etc. For example, Data Protector version 8 didn’t have a properly working restore feature; the next upgrade came within week. All kinds of small things required workarounds and support engagement to find some tweak within the config files.

When comparing other backup software, such as BackupExec for example which I have used at the same time as Data Protector. For BackupExec our backup team did raise one vendor case throughout four years, while for Data Protector, we had three to four vendor cases opened every month. That is just in general, as I really do not remember all the details for all those, I dont know, but hundreds of cases opened with HP Data Protector support. What I remember we didn‘t have a single patching/upgrade of Data Protector version without issues, which could only be solved by HP Data Protector vendor support. While for BackupExec it was always smooth and any issues we encountered we were able to solve them on our own.

Use of Solution

I have been using it for 4+ years.

I have not encountered any deployment, stability or scalability issues.

Customer service is great.

Technical support is great.

We switched because of company policy, the tapes aged, etc.

Initial setup was straightforward.

Implementation Team

I was within the support team, which did implement as well as support the solution.

ROI

Huge. Simply eliminating the need for tape changers returned the cost of the hardware within less than half a year.

Pricing, Setup Cost and Licensing

Get an expert who knows the products, so you can get the best prices possible for both DP and StoreOnce. Because there are some things that can work for the same solution in different ways, hence they are differently licensed as well as priced.

Other Advice

Make sure architecture is planning properly, e.g., centralised or decentralised HPE DP Cell Managers give you some quite different options and etc.

1 Comment

Jaris DetroyeReal User

It is true that earlier versions of D.P. had some fairly egregious flaws, and D.P. 8 was a hiccup, but the new features are a huge productivity enhancement. Yes, I too have had my share of tech support issues with D.P. support, and the GUI has a handful of 'glitches' but almost all are cosmetic and most of my support issues were with newly released features that needed a bit more shake-down than had been received.
But, given all that the one thing that shines in D.P.'s favor is it's general licensing scheme. All the hosts you want to backup for free! You just pay for the backup devices (i.e. tape drives, VTLs, etc.). So if you are fortunate enough to have high performance target devices your overall basic license costs will be minimal.

Like (1)08 September 16