Micro Focus Data Protector Review

It integrates with the infrastructure layer. I would like to see more integration with virtual environments and platforms.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the integration with the infrastructure layer, for example, to storage systems like 3PAR. That is really valuable because you can use functions in the hardware platform to integrate with the functionalities in the Data Protector.

It provides secure and high availability platforms.

How has it helped my organization?

The organizations I work with that use the product are actually managing to get a higher availability figure. They can design their infrastructure to manage it in an easier way, so they need to spend less hours of management.

What needs improvement?

I would like to see more integrations with virtual environments and more integrations with platforms like SQL Server, Oracle, and SAP.

The stability is excellent, actually. It more or less depends on how often they release new versions, but the stability is extremely good.

The scalability could be a bit better, actually, because that connects to the stability question. You don't enforce new functionalities in a stable product unless you're willing to accept some disturbances or destabilization of the product.

The technical support is very good. They have both local and central skilled technical resources, so it's very valuable.

We needed to move towards a new system because of the complexity in the environment. We were looking for ease of use.

The initial setup was very straightforward.

We also considered Veeam and NetBackup. We chose HPE Data Protector because it is easy to use.

What other advice do I have?

When you evaluate products, take one important aspect, for example, ease of use; and then try to focus on that aspect when you compare it to different vendors.

1 visitor found this review helpful