Micro Focus Data Protector Review

A good, stable solution but it should be more intuitive

What is our primary use case?

We run all of the bank applications on it.

What is most valuable?

The solution allows us to be able to backup and exchange directly to backup Microsoft Exchange.

What needs improvement?

The solution is not intuitive enough. I think they should work on the user experience and the graphical interface. These can be a lot better.

I've been using the solution for one year.

I would give the stability a rating of seven out of ten. There are still some improvements to be made in terms of ensuring stability in the product.

Scalability is very good. Right now, we have ten users, including backup administrators, compliance, and audit. The backups run every day.

I would rate technical support as six out of ten. They don't respond in a timely manner when you report issues.

The initial setup was complex. It's because it's not user-friendly. I think they can work a lot harder at making the solution more intuitive. Deployment took about two weeks. For deployment and maintenance, we only needed two people.

We used a reseller that helped with the deployment. They were fantastic. I liked them a lot.

For us, the solution is bundled with other HP licenses, so I can't say how much the licensing is exactly. There are no other costs above the standard licensing fee, however.

What other advice do I have?

We are using the on-premises version of the solution.

In terms of advice that I would give to those thinking about using the solution, I'd say this: it's a very good application. It does the job. It can be better, but it does the job. It does everything any basic backup application should do. The interface could be more intuitive and more colorful to help with its ease of use.

I would rate the solution seven out of ten.