Micro Focus Data Protector Review

Has an easy setup but is only available on-premise

What is our primary use case?

The primary reason clients purchase this solution is for backup.

What needs improvement?

I don't like this solution so much because it's very technical and compared to Commvault and Veeam, it's not so user-friendly. The interface needs improvement.

It was sold to another company, I haven't seen a lot of improvement that they have done.

I have been using it for six years.

It is not a stable product because I found that it's only dedicated to HP products.

Scalability is not good because for us if we buy 10GB and want to upgrade there's no provision to upgrade easily. You must consult with the HP support team. As opposed to Veeam where you just buy their license then they upgrade it or with Commvault you just buy their license and then the user can upgrade.

The support nowadays isn't so good because in order to get support you have to have a support contract.

Commvault is an enterprise backup solution that does both virtualization, on-premise, and cloud and also does outside replication.

The initial setup is straightforward if you understand Data Protector. The deployment takes around two days. You need a consultant for the deployment.

The pricing is around $3,000 to $5,000. The charge additionally for support and to scale.

What other advice do I have?

Considering the data report and also the possibility of maintenance and support, I would advise going for Veeam or Commvault because of the free trial security and backup possibility data protection, which is on-premise, cloud, and replication. This cannot be done by Data Protector.

I would rate it a six out of ten. It only has the option for on-premise while the other solutions can do on-premise, cloud, and replication use the same interface. They should improve it to have a replication feature and do backups within the cloud. It can be a good device to use.

More Micro Focus Data Protector reviews from users