Micro Focus LoadRunner Professional Review

Supports live monitoring and has powerful analytics features

What is our primary use case?

I am primarily using LoadRunner to perform tests on HTTP and HTTPS.

How has it helped my organization?

This solution provides a one-stop-shop for what we need.

What is most valuable?

I think that analytics is very good and that the analytics features are very powerful.

You can do live monitoring, which is very useful compared to Apache JMeter.

This is good for a large-scale organization because it supports a lot of protocols.

What needs improvement?

One of the problems with LoadRunner was always outside sharing. However, now that they are offering a cloud version, this may already work well.

The infrastructure support can be improved because there are a lot of limitations with the hardware that you can use.

I would like to have better support for adding more users per load generator.

I have been using LoadRunner for about ten years.

This solution is very stable. We use it very frequently.

LoadRunner is scalable, although there are some limitations that depend on the application type. That is where you need to scale by adding more load generators.

We have approximately ten people who are using LoadRunner in the company.

Technical support for LoadRunner is quite good. I would rate them an eight out of ten.

In addition to LoadRunner, I was also using Apache JMeter for about three years. JMeter does not support live monitoring unless you use a plugin. However, JMeter has better infrastructure support than LoadRunner.

My company did not switch from JMeter to LoadRunner. They already had already purchased LoadRunner licenses. There are a lot of inherent limitations with JMeter, including analytics capabilities.

The initial setup for the standalone version is very simple and very easy compared to a solution like Apache JMeter. If you have the licenses then you can get started very soon.

It takes perhaps 20 minutes to deploy, depending on the machine configuration. Only one person is required because it has an auto-install package.

For the standalone version of LoadRunner, you don't need help from consultants. However, for something like a performance center then you need a consultant to help.

The licensing fees are based on the number of users. There is also a free community edition, but it depends on what protocol you're using and how many users you want. Essentially, the licensing fees are based on the need.

What other advice do I have?

This is a very mature tool that is always improving and has very good support as well. More or less, they're always trying to revolve their limitations.

In order to use LoadRunner, you need specific skills. In order to use tools of this type then you need performance engineering skills. My advice for anybody who is implementing this solution is first to be clear about your use case and what you are trying to do. Develop and follow up on your own performance-testing strategy before implementing LoadRunner. That said, I highly recommend this product.

1 Comment

author avatarcyrusm (Micro Focus)

Hi Guarav - I am the Product Manager for LoadRunner. First off, thanks for the glowing review. Appreciate the time put in here. It'll help a lot of other people and organizations see the power of LoadRunner. We are making some improvements around infrastructure improvement (protocols) as well as outside sharing. Take a look at our Help Center for LoadRunner Professional to see all the exciting capabilities we have added.