Micro Focus Network Management Center Review

Monitors network devices, switches, and servers but the current dashboards need improvement

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use for this solution is to monitor the infrastructure we have.

We use the on-premises version.

How has it helped my organization?

We manage about one thousand network devices in our data center. I think, now, we have visibility on all these network devices, through this tool, which gives me immediate alerts or notifications when some devices fail. It helps us to identify the root cause for that and to fix it as fast as possible, to keep the operation running smoothly.

What is most valuable?

The most value for us is in monitoring network devices, switches, and servers.

What needs improvement?

The only thing I can say needs improvement is in how they present the data to the end-users. End-users are looking for a dashboard with an attractive view. The current dashboards we have are sufficient for our needs, but not attractive for the business users at the upper management levels.

This is my second year using Micro Focus Network Management Center.

I think the product is very stable.

Scalability is good, especially since it's based on distributed agent deployment. I think it works fine at scale. We did not face any issues. We have used around 1,000 devices or more without issues.

Technical support was very helpful. It takes time for them to understand the issue, but once it is understood, they give good support and resolve the issue. When there is a fix, they provide it immediately.

The initial setup was a little bit complex, in terms of defining each network device, because we have different types. You have to configure each one properly so that you can get the correct status for them. It was a little bit complicated, but it performs as needed.

We used an integrator for the installation process. He was very good. Our deployment took around three months for the complete implementation and user acceptance.

The price is reasonable for the services and the different products we have. Compared to others, it's reasonable.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate this solution as seven out of ten. It covers our functions, from a technical point of view, but we are still facing a lot of issues regarding the dashboards. The dashboards are enough for us, but the management is also looking for that and it is a burden to translate this information to them.

For me, it was a new experience to work with this solution. Maybe it's two years working with it now, but I think it was a good experience for me to learn this tool and implement projects for network management.