Micro Focus Network Node Manager Review
It simplifies transactions when adopting cloud technologies.

What is most valuable?

The HPE suite is amazingly beautiful, has a fantastic user experience, and provides a high amount of simplification across transactions when adopting cloud technologies significantly.

How has it helped my organization?

NNMi is super robust and seamlessly connects everything across applications, infrastructure, server, storage, and networks. We wanted to connect the dots together.

We have implemented not just NNMi, but the entire HPE suite. The trigger to do this was the digital transformation that we are undertaking at my company, which was really fueled by the desire to give a completely different digital experience to our employees.

We started out with adopting the cloud. We started out with an Office 365 migration a couple of years back. We did it in record time. We migrated 125,000 plus mailboxes in 18 weeks. We looked at a case study on the Microsoft website, and once we liked that, and IT liked it too, our users loved it. And users love Yammer, because that's their way of going ahead and chattering about with everybody else.

Then we said, “Why not get everything else on the cloud too, rather than being on premises”? We also had a lot of end-of-life infrastructure and we said, “Okay, we've got to go significantly into the public cloud”.

We're very heavy in Microsoft Azure and in about nine months we've migrated our entire enterprise application landscape onto the public cloud. We're talking about close to 200 applications outside of SAP itself, which we upgraded to SAP HANA. Everything else is in the cloud. We have a true hybrid infrastructure out there. We're also on AWS, of course. We have our trouble-ticketing system on AWS, so if Azure goes down, we've got something else up and running. And of course, we use it for disaster recovery.

NNMi has proved to be certainly better in a) giving us slightly better capabilities to switch to alternatives when incidents do happen, and b) being able to optimize our costs on the infrastructure monitoring side. Now we have the ability to monitor all of these networks globally from a single tool.

What needs improvement?

I want to have some of those nicer features for when networks go flapping. I want to receive alerts before problems occur rather than when it actually goes down. We need to have our service providers working very closely with us, which will not necessarily happen. We still have submarine cables getting cut which would completely leave us blacked out. But, those are not necessarily problems that happen very often.

Our first deployment started out earlier this year. We've been kind of up and about with NNMi probably a little more than a complete quarter. That's about the duration that we've had it operational.

This transformation has meant, and it continues to be, a lot of change management and adoption by IT with getting them used to this paradigm change and these new tools coming in. But I think there is a lot more recognition of the fact that automation is going to transform their lives and that this is something for the better. I think that's been something which has been really positive and that's the stuff that I'm really working with.

I'm not the super techie person. I run transformation programs. My responsibility and charter is really to make sure that wherever we're running digital transformation, make sure that we take our employees, as well as our IT group, along so that they're not hit by something big. We take them along through this entire change out there.

Stability has been pretty good. But like I said, it's been up and running about a quarter now. I know there are a lot of other enterprises that have had it for years and years and have it running for very long and are doing extremely well.

I'm guessing that it will be the same for us, too. I do know that it's really kind of “best in breed” as a solution, so I'm not expecting any stability issues coming out of there.

I think we shouldn't necessarily confuse usability, per se, with robustness or scale. That's something NNMi definitely goes ahead and gives us. I've heard it's really scalable. NNMi has been there, done that, for so long with very large, very complex enterprises at the kind of scale that we're talking about. I think I'm okay with usability.

Technical support is good, I guess. We are not having trouble so far. But when we did want to get help or support, we got it.

We used to have CA Spectrum and Wiley. During our transformation, we decided we needed something super robust to be able to seamlessly connect everything across applications, infrastructure, server, storage, and networks. We wanted to connect the dots together. That's what triggered us to go with HPE. I think it's doing pretty well.

I was not involved in the initial setup. The decision to replace our previous solutions with HPE and NNMi was not taken by me. It was taken before I came to my current company.

I think there is a steeper learning curve compared to a lot of other new age products. A lot of the new age products which have been built in the last couple of years or so, are very, very intuitive. They are built with so called, "design thinking"; what people really, really talk about. That's not necessarily true of some of the older products that are out there.

What other advice do I have?

I work with big vendors like HPE as well as start-ups, especially now that we're on our hybrid journey. I'm using them to do backups for me on the cloud; both end-user computing backups, as well as server backups. Azure backup doesn't seem to work out for me.

I think what I would really be looking at in a vendor is does the vendor vision really synchronize very well with my vision of where I want to be? What is it that I'm looking for when want something to be provided to my end customers who are our 170,000 employees out there?

I have a vision. I have a roadmap. I have quarterly deadlines to say, "This is what I'm going to be doing and can a vendor really support me to do that?" I'm okay if they don't have some features, because I don't think everybody's figured out everything yet. As long as I know that: a) they really are gung-ho about the vision that I have and they're completely in line with that vision, and b) they have the capabilities to be able to solve some of those niggling problems which will definitely pop up when we're going to go through a transformation program of this kind of scale. Then I'm okay with them.

1 visitor found this review helpful