Micro Focus Network Node Manager Review

Mature product but some basic requirements are missing

What is our primary use case?

We are a service provider and deploy in multiple locations such as banks and commercial organizations which have larger networks with 200 and sometimes 2,000 or 3,000 devices. Some of our customers have network teams of 25 to 30 but most have less than that, usually anywhere between five to 20 people. Most are IT admins, IT managers and workers in IT departments.

What needs improvement?

The network phase in the product could be improved. Other tools such as SolarWinds have real-time bandwidth, and they can calculate bandwidth in MBs, which means something. But Micro Focus Network Node Manager always watches bandwidth. With Micro Focus, bandwidth utilization networks always show in bytes. It makes it difficult for the end-user to calculate. Micro Focus needs to offer customized dashboards. The reporting is very complex. It's not simple.

As a network person, I want to see the top end network devices, who is using maximum bandwidth or who is using maximum MB. It only requires a very simple graphic, a simple dashboard that I have customized myself. I would prefer to deploy SolarWinds or PRTG.
Unfortunately, our company only deploys Micro Focus.

Additional features that could be included would be customizing some simple features like dashboard support. They also need to upgrade their level of support and focus on their customers. That's what's important.

We've been using the product for seven or eight years.

The solution is very stable. Once it's configured properly, stability and maintenance are stable and there are no issues with performance.

I'm very satisfied with the scalability because for scalability purposes we don't need to buy multiple hardware. If you install one node on Network Node Manager and want to scale it up, it's pretty easy to create more nodes.

We are very dissatisfied with the technical support. We have multiple demands and even the engineers are not satisfied. It used to be better but recently it's been a problem. I think they focus mainly on network calls. They're not always available due to the different time zones of different customers. It can take a few hours to resolve issues. As a result, I assume that in the coming years, Micro Focus will have less share of the market. Technical support should be improved.

Initial setup is complex so it's better to install with the help of integrators or consultants. We are working on Microsoft Windows and also in Linux. On Windows, it's very simple, you just press control P and you can print out your devices. But on the Linux, it's quite tough.

What other advice do I have?

Micro Focus is a very mature product but some basic requirements are missing and there are services that they don't offer. For example, I'm an end-user. The way the solution currently works means I'm not able to customize my own reports.

I would rate it a seven out of ten.