Micro Focus Network Virtualization [EOL] Review

We were able to reduce a lot of hardware calls where we used to have load generators.

What is most valuable?

Depicting the real user experience using an emulation rather than a simulation, that's one of the key points. The second is, we were able to reduce a lot of hardware calls where we used to have load generators across the globe.

How has it helped my organization?

We are able to use real-world scenarios from the global libraries with Network Virtualization pool support. It goes through about 1.3 billion libraries on any scenario, any bandwidth, and any network condition you could think of. It also supports the mobile aspect of it. It can be any carrier across the globe, be it on a host providing LTE bandwidth or a 3G bandwidth or a 2G bandwidth. It gives that kind of visibility to the business as well as the application IP teams. Telling them, "Hey, this is how your application is going to work on XYZ bandwidth parameters on XYZ carrier based on whatever parameters that we set." It kind of helps us.

What needs improvement?

They need to go beyond what they are doing right now and look at streaming capabilities because a lot of news organizations, a lot of media and entertainment companies, need a lot of streaming support. Network Virtualization needs to work across multiple streams. One of the good features about Network Virtualization is they have analytic support, which gives a web page performance. There they need to align themselves to the latest JavaScript technologies so that it's a better way of reporting what the user is seeing on his desktop, browser, or whatever device being used.

The product is very stable. HP procured Shunra about a couple of years back, and since then it's been an evolution on the tool set. They still need to grow a lot for a lot more protocols, but it's stable.

It's highly scalable.

I've not had to contact tech support.

Network Virtualization is required for pretty much any organization. We had been using Network Virtualization even before it became Network Virtualization. We had been using Shunra.

It's pretty straightforward as long as you know how the tool is designed to work and the architecture behind how you need to implement it for your environment.

What other advice do I have?

If it were up to me to buy a new tool, I want to make sure it meets my requirement. It needs to support the requirement. That's the kind of thought process that I would go thru for anybody who is trying to choose a tool. Are you globally placed? Are you more into mobility? Are you more into a thick-line application, where there is not going to be any mobility? You might not need it. You can still see how your product is going to work across multiple bandwidth parameters or whatever. It's a very useful tool, but it all depends on how people want to utilize that tool. The proper gauging exercise needs to go on.

Find out what your peers are saying about Micro Focus, VMware, Cisco and others in Network Virtualization. Updated: May 2021.
513,091 professionals have used our research since 2012.