Micro Focus Network Virtualization Review

You can create public clouds for private applications. You need VM firewalls for complex filtering with micro-segmentation.

What is most valuable?

Network virtualization can help us to create a new type of network. You can do something really different. You can create public clouds for your private applications from your data centers. You can offer something really new, customized, and more what the network team wants.

How has it helped my organization?

This solution allows us to offer a solution for the application, including all the things they need. This is a complete package, including the network with the sub-netting and the security with micro-segmentation with load balancing. A long time ago, you needed a few weeks to provide this kind of architecture. Now you can offer this in few minutes. It is very fast.

What needs improvement?

One of the really good options of the SDN on DCN is the micro-segmentation. I would like to see it act more like a real firewall. You can use micro-segmentation, but you still need little VM firewalls to do complex filtering. If you could do this on DCN, it would really be perfect.

You want to be able to do this in network virtualization. I know it's still a new product, but I would like to see more solutions in it, such as micro-segmentation.

For now, we are just trying it in tests. We plan to put it into production and in data centers in the next two months.

It scales to big data centers, to a few thousand servers/boxes.

We used technical support from HPE France. They came to our company, to our data center, and helped us to run the installation and to make the test plan.

Previous to this solution, we had a traditional network architecture. I saw the HPE DCN when I was at the ETSS in Dublin. I saw that product, I wanted to try it, and I asked for a test lab in our data center. I wanted to try network virtualization.

I was involved in the installation. It was easy to install, but we had the help of HPE to install it. This solution is something really new. When you do network and security, it's something like old school network. SDN is something really new for us, so it's completely different.

It's a new way of syncing the network so we really need help for this. It's not hard to learn, but you have to have another state of mind to do it. The way of syncing the network is different. You have the underlay and the overlay and you have to know that it's completely different from traditional networks. It's something really new, so you need a little bit of time to understand the differences.

We compared this tool to Cisco ACI and VMware NSX.

We chose this tool because it is the most complete solution. It's more compliant with our actual applications, data centers, and bare metal servers.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution to a colleague.