Operations Bridge Review

You can correlate certain systems with each other along with applications. 3PAR monitoring requires a third-party solution.

What is most valuable?

It helps us to take into account all of our infrastructure. It's monitoring all our infrastructure and is one single point of truth. It's also quite flexible for configuration. You can correlate certain systems with each other along with applications. Thus, we like the HPE product very much as it keeps our systems under control and in-check. You can also filter out the different alarms from your systems.

How has it helped my organization?

It has improved the working of our company, especially the working of our operation team. They have much more view on the servers and what is happening with them. They know when to act and on what to act. The alarms are very clear. There is only one central database for all the alarms; before we had to look on different systems.

It has not only the servers but also our network is in there. It's an all-in-one dashboard for our operations team so that is very helpful.

What needs improvement?

There is need to have more out-of-the-box support for HPE products itself.

For monitoring of HPE 3PAR, it doesn't come out-of-the-box with OpsBridge; we still need to install third-party stuff to it. At a recent conference, HPE announced that they will have their own software material, so that's improving. But we would like to see much faster support on the HP products themselves (including this product).

We've had some issues in the past with the previous version. Currently, we are using version 10 and with this version all the stability issues are all fixed. We still have some issues with certain connectors but they are also getting fixed by HPE as of now. The issues are within the third-party connectors for Nagios and NNMi. But that is now being handled by HPE; hence we are very happy with the product.

It's quite okay. You need a few backend servers to run it on but it scales very easily. If we run into performance issues, we just add some vCPUs because we can virtualize the installation. It scales very well with that.

I'm not involved in the technical support that much.

We were previously using something else but it was not fulfilling our needs. I think they were using a BMC product before I joined the company.

I took over once the product was already running. It's now handled by my team, but I have only recent joined the team.

We wanted the manager of managers so that we have one single point of truth for all our alarming activities, cross server applications and so on.

We also checked with BMC but decided to select HPE as it is the most flexible solution.

What other advice do I have?

I would advise them to check this product out and to have a good look at it because we think it is a valuable system.

It is important to keep in mind the amount of work involved in setting it up. It is a lot of work because you need to have your agents installed on your machines, so it takes some time before everything is running like you want it to. For example, we have a license for 4,000 agents now. We use about a 3/4th of that number at the moment. Hence, its installation is intensive but once it is installed, it's fine.

There is no out-of-the-box support for HPE products. We have the feeling that it's going a little bit too slow. If they launch a new product, it's always taking some time before we get the connectors for the OpsBridge.