Operations Bridge Review

The ability to integrate directly with the RIPM on top of DSM is useful. The IIS configuration definitely needs to be improved.

What is most valuable?

The ability to integrate directly with the RIPM on top of DSM. We're looking to use the event feed into OMI, the metrics feed, and using things like SHA. There might be opportunities later to try for a faster root cause analysis.

How has it helped my organization?

At the moment, we're still building the system, so I can't say.

What needs improvement?

When installing against IIS, you need to expect a fully locked-down IIS, rather than expecting a fully out-of-the-box. It is sold to enterprise customers and I can't believe any enterprise customers would be happy to leave IIS out-of-the-box. I would think that everybody would have locked it down. You add what you want to include in a white list, rather than blacklist out what you want to exclude. So, the IIS configuration definitely needs to be improved.

The installation instructions need to be improved, as well.

We had a designated person with FlexCare. He was fair enough with the installation in general. I think we worked out what the problems were with the filters ourselves, because we've seen that on other HPE products. We were kind of expecting it.

We are combining it with other monitoring tools. They did a huge proof of concept to determine what the right fit was. I wasn’t involved in that. It was all vendor engagement, and so on. It wasn't just HPE, we had other vendors as well, such as IBM and Compuware.

The installation instructions are a mess to the point where the advice given to us by other HPE people has been to not follow the instructions, but to follow the VMEs instead.

The installation for an enterprise IIS solution, rather than just an out-of-the-box one, doesn't work very well. We ended up needing to troubleshoot the installation to get it to work. Installing the IIS filters was a big headache. We installed them, but we couldn’t do anything until we went in and adjusted them. When I left, there was still a problem creating users. We couldn't do any of that, so I don't know if they fixed that yet.

What other advice do I have?

For people doing this for the first time, if you have support from HPE, use it. Milk it. Use your FlexCare points and grab somebody. You might sail straight through. If it works, and you do not have any problems with that, then maybe you're fine.