Micro Focus PPM Review

We use it from deployment to demand, project, resource, and time management. Support gives us the runaround.

What is most valuable?

The number of different things which it is able to do. There are so many different pieces of functionality, and we use almost every single piece from deployment to demand, project, resource, and time management.

How has it helped my organization?

We're using all of it, and we integrate it with other systems. We migrate code for PeopleSoft, creating purchase orders, etc. So we're using the application for all kinds of crazy things.

What needs improvement?

We don't really use some of the things that they are improving, because we're still very much waterfall vs agile. A lot of the new functionality that they are adding for agile doesn't pertain to us. However, we constantly put in requests for some of the things we need. One of those is being able to export just our standard request type to PDF. Because they have that ability with projects, and after talking with them a couple years ago, it sounded like it would be somewhat easy to put it that same functionality request since the same types of forms are used. We're still kind of waiting on that one.

About 17 years.

It's gotten better. It has been better than other applications. The latest upgrade was extremely painful. I don't think they took into account customers that had been on it for 17 years when they wrote the upgrade script. I ran into a lot of issues with files left behind that they didn't clean up. Then when asking for help, they weren't even familiar with our directory structure, they were looking for a different directory structure. So, the latest upgrade was very painful. Prior to that, it had always gone very smoothly.

Initially, we purchased the product for 80 users, and now we have almost 2300 to 2400 users. So, it's been very scalable; very easy to scale.

I'm not thrilled. I feel like I get the runaround and I have to explain the issue five different times. First to the engineer, then the next one comes and they want to start over, so then I have to explain it again, and then they want to pass it on, then I have to explain it again. Having to do that, it's time consuming and frustrating, and I end up closing the ticket because I don't have the time for it, then my issue ends up not getting resolved.

What other advice do I have?

It's very good as far as not needing to be restarted on a regular basis, not having mod files fill up, the number of issues, the number of tickets I have received from users with complaints, and its ease of use. Where I see improvement is more my experience with support and with the Micro Focus company in general, because we ran into licensing issues that took almost eight months to resolve. We had a divestiture, and we acted as a third party via TSA, and it took probably two months to try and get an answer that we really needed in 20 to 30 days. So, these kind of things where we ended up having to talk to one of their lawyers and in that five minute conversation, they're like, "Oh yeah, we can do that." They wrote up a letter, sign, sign, and done. Why it took 60 days, when talking directly to the lawyer it took five minutes? It was very frustrating.