Micro Focus Real User Monitor Review

An expensive product with an old design that needs to be more lightweight

What is our primary use case?

The primary use case is application monitoring.

How has it helped my organization?

We are no longer satisfied with this product and are migrating to Dynatrace.

What is most valuable?

The technical support is good at resolving issues.

What needs improvement?

This solution needs to be more lightweight.

It requires that you purchase a Microsoft or Oracle database, which adds extra costs.

This product still uses Java, which has been removed from most of the browsers and it requires an additional install step for the client.

You need to purchase a lot of extra products from Micro Focus because the integration with them is required before you get a final, working solution.

It is an old design that has not changed in the past ten years, other than the name of it.

It takes 20 to 30 minutes to start the application.

When we want to monitor our encrypted traffic, this product doesn't work because our cipher is not supported.

Because RUM is based on port sniffing, it means that you need to configure a port on the network or switch. This works fine in an on-premises deployment, but we are moving to the cloud and user monitoring is done differently.

I have been working with the Micro Focus Real User Monitor for about ten years.

There are issues with stability because they still use Java. For example, right now, they are using Java Enterprise Services, JBoss. This is the cause of a lot of errors.

I have been in contact with support many times and from my point of view, they are okay. In most cases, however, they try to fix the issue rather than improve the product. Ultimately, they need to change the design of the product because the best support on Earth is not going to help solve all of the issues.

We are currently in the process of migrating from Micro Focus to Dynatrace.

With Dynatrace, it will automatically implement the application and you can monitor using a small JavaScript that is injected by the agent. Doing this same thing with Micro Focus would be a nightmare, if not impossible.

Dynatrace is not the only product that is better. AppDynamics, Elastic, and other vendors use the browser as your monitoring solution. For example, whether it is Chrome or Firefox, the browser can provide information about the application. That is the easiest way to do real user monitoring, as opposed to deploying hardware or configuring a switch.

Setting up the basic environment is okay. However, deploying and supporting this solution is a nightmare. A lot of products are required, which means that you have to spend a lot of time and hire a lot of people to support all of the different components. That is the main problem with it.

Our in-house team is responsible for deployment and maintenance.

The price is approximately €30,000 ($35,500 USD) for the enterprise edition.

What other advice do I have?

I have to say that I am very disappointed with this solution. It's very heavy, and it is a nightmare to deploy and maintain. Compared to all of the other solutions, Micro Focus is out of date. In summary, the design is very, very old and it is not the future for us.

If you have an old-fashioned infrastructure with data center servers then this is a good solution for you. You can deploy RUM, connect it to the switch, configure the switch, and it works well. However, if you are a modern company and want to monitor cloud services, it is really hard to do. Essentially, it is not the right solution in that case. For people who don't use virtualization, it might be perfect.

I would rate this solution a two out of ten.

More Micro Focus Real User Monitor reviews from users