Micro Focus Robotic Process Automation Review

It lets us automate almost anything and is very easy to work with

What is our primary use case?

We are using Micro Focus Robotic Process Automation (RPA) to automate some monthly procedures to get information from a project and portfolio management tool. This tool does not have any API to use. Therefore, we are using Micro Focus RPA to get information from this tool to help us automate the creation of the monthly reports.

We have only one developer developing the automation, and the product is working in a self-contained mode.

What is most valuable?

It lets us automate almost anything, even with the legacy tools. It is very easy for us now to automate with legacy tools, which used to be difficult earlier. We work with a lot of other automation tools from Micro Focus, such as Operation Orchestration, but these tools can only connect to the API. So, there was a gap when we wanted to automate older and legacy tools that didn't have any API to connect to.

We can now also automate without any changes in the customer environment. We don't need to change anything in the way that the customer environment works.

What needs improvement?

It currently supports only on-premises deployments. They can include support for cloud deployments.

It should provide us the ability to choose a robot for executing a workflow. We want to control which robot executes a certain workflow. Right now, it automatically chooses the robot that is going to execute our workflow.

It should also provide the ability to get filters on the outputs of the steps. We have each workflow as a step, and each step has some output. We would like to have the functionality to execute some script or some logic on these outputs to format the tests directly on the variables.

I have been using this solution for about four months. It is a very recent product, and I am using the latest version.

We don't have any complaints about the product stability. This product is built on two existing Micro Focus products. Micro Focus combined the products and built a logic between them. It is a new product in the sense that it is a new functionality, but the core of the product is based on two existing and stable products.

We haven't yet tried to scale it. In theory and based on our experience with the underlying products that this product is based on, it isn't difficult to scale.

We won't scale it a lot more in this deployment, but we have other projects for larger deployments.

We didn't have any need to interact with technical support. We haven't faced any issues while using the product. We have monthly meetings with the R&D team to provide feedback for improvements.

It was straightforward to install and use for us, but this could be because we have previously used other Micro Focus products.

The installation itself is very easy and quick. It took us a day to deploy. After installation, the product needs to be configured and the automation flows need to be created.

We deployed it ourselves.

The pricing model is very straightforward. You can have a one-year or three-year subscription. You pay for each robot that you want to use simultaneously. If you want, you can install 50 robots and get 50 licenses. If you want to use only one robot at a time, you just need one license.

For each license, you pay around 10% or 15% to support. You pay for the license, and you pay a small percentage of the cost of the license for support. This is their licensing model, which is very easy to understand.

What other advice do I have?

My advice to anyone who is looking for an RPA tool is to present a use case that they feel comfortable with to the vendor and ask the vendor to show them how the tool can help them with that use case.

I would rate Micro Focus Robotic Process Automation an eight out of ten. It is a very strong product with a lot of functionalities, and it is very easy to work with. I might be a little biased because I know the product, and I have experience in using other products from Micro Focus. I have tried small demonstrations of other products, but I am not so familiar with them.

Find out what your peers are saying about Micro Focus, UiPath, Blue Prism and others in Robotic Process Automation (RPA). Updated: July 2021.
522,946 professionals have used our research since 2012.