Micro Focus Service Manager Review

It provides us with many types of logs with hundreds of thousands of log entries, but it provides little documentation for how to filter log entries.

Valuable Features:

• It integrates well with multiple Management Information Bases (MIB's).
  • It can detect the Cisco switch backplane's latest condition

Improvements to My Organization:

• It detects abnormal network traffic -- even from a PC network interface card
  • It provides us with many types of logs with hundreds of thousands of log entries

Room for Improvement:

It's not user friendly (too complex), and it gives limited guidance documentation of how to filter all the logs detected. We struggle with filtering over 50 types of logs with more than 200,000 lines of log information.

It can detect the Cisco switch backplane's latest condition, but I'm unable to find any documentation to provide me the value insight of these logs, hence reducing the power of risk management for my customers' network environments.

Use of Solution:

We implemented it around 2008.

Deployment Issues:

It takes around 24 hours to detect all the network equipment & VLANs. If any of the network equipment or VLANs are missing from the finished network topology, you need to delete the whole topology, reset the system, and scan again.

Previous Solutions:

We previously used a very old version Solarwind, which could only detect CPU & memory. The main purpose for the upgrade project, was due to a broadcast storm occuring with my previous customer.

Initial Setup:

It took my HPOV classmate and a team of more than 10 people to implement this product, and it has lasted less than four years due to a lack of research of their requirements. Due to the complexity (depending on your project scope, implementation can take around two months to finalize all the needed settings.

Implementation Team:

We used some very skilful vendors (two freelancers, and a wiring company). The vendors were HP NNI for the server, and HP PI for the manual setup – (including reporting), then the wiring company

Cost and Licensing Advice:

There are three types of licenses, so make sure the license you select fits into your project scope. It took ove two weeks to verify the licenses, but it has lasted with my customer for more than six years.

3 Comments
Customer Experience Manager at a comms service provider with 501-1,000 employeesReal UserTOP 20

P.S: Project occur around 2008

17 August 15
Jacques ConandVendor

Hi Rachel, thanks for your comments. I would like to help and assist you with the problems you are expressing. Some of the User Interface friendliness issues you are mentioning might be addressed in the latest version (9.4) where we rewrote the UI. On the Cisco logs, it seems to me more a matter of discovery than Service Manager itself.

21 August 15

Thanks Jacques of the update, but for your statement "On the Cisco logs, it seems to me more a matter of discovery than Service Manager itself", there is no discovery issue, just the problem I have issue to know the exact 'meaning' of these logs due to no whitepaper I can find online.. Hence, I always need to manually check all the Cisco switches & routers backplane log one by one to see any abnormal log compare to the previous business day..

14 January 16