Micro Focus Service Virtualization Review

We get view commonality, so rather than developers and test groups creating their own mocks of environments, they'll have one project service with a tool set that does the same thing.

Valuable Features

The main thing for us is that it does what we need it to do. There are many other product out there in the marketplace that will claim huge feature sets, but at the end of the day, you're actually looking for a product that just does what you need it to do.

Specifically, it's easy to set up and to get all your instructions from the HP website. You don't have to go through these horrible pre-sales and marketing pitches to get access.

Improvements to My Organization

I think a big thing for us is a tighter market and a reduction of wastage. We have a number of end points in the environment that are not terribly reliable. If they failed, then we could end up with tens of hundreds of people suddenly not being able to test or validate.

With Service Virtualization, we can replace them with something that is much more stable. We also get view commonality, so rather than developers and test groups creating their own mocks of environments, they'll have one project service with a tool set that does the same thing.

Also, we've got a high level of compliance now with everyone using the same tool. The downside is, if it's wrong, it's wrong for everybody. The upside is that everybody's testing against the same thing so we have a degree of commonality. When all these developers are doing the unit tests, once we get to the multiple test environment, we're unlikely to see a different problems caused by different issues.

Room for Improvement

One of the key components of the tool for us is the ability to write scripted rules in JavaScript or C#. As it stands now, the debugging capacity within the tool is fairly limited. I think some formal integration with an external ID that measures videotaping, like eClerx, would be nice in a future release.

There have been no issues with deployment.

In the four months we've used it, I've had no stability issues with very good load on the platform.

We're early in the journey, but so far no issues with scalability.

We've had a relationship now with the R&D team and that's been instrumental for us in making the decision to buy the product, and their involvement in addressing issues. The reality is that we have a legacy IT infrastructure and it's not going to change. The virtualization tool hadn't quite met our needs and they have been very responsive in fixes and patches.

Other Advice

I think the beauty of being able to order the 30 day trial from the HP website means that you can actually get in there and look, unfettered by the sales and marketing people, and actually understand what the product does for you and your organization.