Micro Focus Service Virtualization Review

Easy to use, easy to implement, and it helps us to identify problems and create resolutions

What is our primary use case?

We implement this product for companies in the banking industry. We use virtualization to simulate and validate data models of the core banking system for the purpose of testing. When one application is implemented and accesses the testing phase, the test environment needed to connect to external/legacy system to fulfill test coverage. Test cases might cover both functionality and performance which sometimes external system faces the limitation to support.

It is difficult to make test environments connect to the mainframe with required test data already in place, so we planned to use virtualization in this situation. Another use case for us has to do with performance testing. Many banking systems (public ones) facing performance issues in production have been identified that as impactful is not in the application itself. That means the test hasn’t been done well enough during the integration, most of them cause by limitation on test environment. Service virtualization with a performance model feature can help solve this situation.

When a test is covered, the risks in the production system are surely controlled.

What is most valuable?

The feature which is most valuable in this solution is the ease of use. The product is
very easy to use and implement. Another thing is that we can adjust the performance
level. We can make the model simulate the best service, normal services or bad
situations in many possible ways.

What needs improvement?

I think the place where this product has room for improvement is the protocol. The current protocol list needs to be updated to have much more coverage on technology. And the ability to implement customization within the tools. Currently, there is some limitation on the flexibility of the data logic as well as the configuration of portals and other things. So the protocol update is one thing and another is the ability to have more flexibility for customizations.

I have been using Service Virtualization for around four years.

The product is stable. Sometimes there is an issue with the operating system, but normally, the product itself is stable enough.

Scalability should not be an issue for an enterprise product. On the other hand, I think scalability can be better or easier to do. But I don't really have a good perspective on this because we have not yet experienced a situation where it was necessary to scale-up. Customers already design virtual service environments to cover beyond usable capacity since the first place.

However, if capacity really needs increasing we can raised them up around 30% without increasing hardware by using in-memory processing instead of database processing.

I am not impressed with the technical support provided by Micro Focus (for an official ticket). If I go to the user community and I raise an issue in there, I have been contacted by R&D and they help us to solve the problem.

Actually, Micro Focus is very good with the technical implementation of all their tools
and I am sure that is true for their whole team. I am just not impressed with the
official technical support that they just only look into the product manual and not support
out of it.

Actually, sometimes we use the tools that are not exactly in the category of
virtualization to do testing in a similar way. The tools are some kind of like an API
gateway where we can simulate virtualization. And there is another tool called
MounteBank, which is freeware. It can allow us to make a mock or stub server for
integration testing the same to virtual service.

However, we use it only in cases where the TPS or the scale of the capacity is not
projected to be very high. When we need enterprise software, then we switch. What
mean enterprise; 1) having official technical support 2) having R&D team and
roadmap 3) Having official customer reference and so on.

The initial installation is quite simple. The experienced team can take around 1-2 days to complete the installment. I also can do it by myself.

It takes only one person to do the setup but it is good to have a support team for some time infrastructure inaccessibility.

Micro Service Virtualization is expensive. The pricing of this product is in line with all
of the other big name-brand products. I think for Micro Focus that it would be a good
idea to make nice promotions for customers. For example, the new customer
in country and else.

We did not evaluate other solutions. In Thailand, right now, Micro Focus is the only product of this sort that is used for virtualization and testing of the banking system. IBM and CA also have this kind of software but they are not focused in my country we find some difficult to contact for doing POC.

What other advice do I have?

The advice I would give to a client who is looking into purchase Micro Focus Virtualization would be that they have to know the clear benefits they will get and the concept of service virtualization. They have to know what shall be the replacement on which situations and the practice to do it. Also, they should to conduct a feasibility study and evaluate the ROI in a particular area. Then if they are clear on the purpose, do a proof of concept. If all are done, we suggested going ahead with the purchasing. The implementation is quite easy and updating is simple.

On a scale from one to ten where one is the worst and ten is the best, I would rate this product as an eight out of ten.

More Micro Focus Service Virtualization reviews from users