Micro Focus UFT Developer Review

Most valuable features are the ability to customize, if needed, and to integrate with ALM because its our test management. The ability to implement with Jenkins for dev ops is also a valuable feature.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features are the ability to customize, if needed, and to integrate with ALM because its our test management. The ability to implement with Jenkins for dev ops is also a valuable feature.

How has it helped my organization?

In our case, because we’re in the insurance industry, we have technologies from 20 years old to brand new. That’s one reason that LeanFT is so great -- because it can support all those technologies, even the older ones.

What needs improvement?

In the next release, I'd like to see ties into C# and Java, enabling us to work more closely with development. However, from what I’ve seen, LeanFT object recognition looks great. The identifiers for an object can be the same for multiple objects, and test automation can detect that. But LeanFT object identification center allows you to see that the identifiers are not necessarily unique, which is very beneficial.

The issues were variable. If you’re using the tools capabilities and the actual traditional test automation you put into a script, it can be unreliable. We try to use descriptive programming, but it becomes more of a test driver rather than creating automation for its test capabilities.

It depends on how you design your solution. If you design a good framework then you can design a scalable solution.

Technical support was not very good. We do reach out, but often they're unable to help. Customer support was similar.

We are a subsidiary, so decision making was limited. Most recently they decided ALM would be the enterprise standard. For automation they decided to use UFT.

Fairly straightforward because it integrates well with ALM. One issue is that if you're using compass, which has its own Java versions etc., it can conflict with LeanFT.

What other advice do I have?

My most important criteria when selecting a vendor is compatibility with my systems, applications, platforms, and whatever apps I am using.

Automate where you can and also try to shift your testing to the left. Testing management is key.