Micro Focus UFT Developer Review

Overall it increases the amount of testing that gets done, with more people interacting with automating.

What is most valuable?

Integration with other IDs. It being in the IDs that the developers are using is big. Another big thing is my staff is mostly automators and they are very technical folks. Most of them have development backgrounds, so they are much more comfortable and familiar in IDs like Eclipse or Visual Studio then they are in UFT, which is where we are coming from.

How has it helped my organization?

With my staff, it's retention. Keeping them happy, things like that. That's important. Happy folks are more productive, but also as we spin up agile delivery teams having that integration where the developers are more or less the kings, we can sell that, and say "Hey, use this product." It's already sitting there in Eclipse, sitting there in Visual Studio, so that's pretty big.

To the business, I would say overall it increases the amount of testing that gets done, with more people interacting with automating. Obviously, automation is what we need to do to get more testing done in a shorter amount of time. With more people doing the automation, we are able to get more tests automated, more tests done, so overall we are turning over a more quality product.

What needs improvement?

Number one thing is we are an Oracle shop, so we do Oracle ERP testing, and that add-in from UFT, that technology is not in LeanFT right now. So all of those automations continue to be run in and maintained in UFT. In order to transition those we would need that support, so that is probably the number thing.

Additionally, just more of the UFT functionality that they have now brought in. We're BPT users as well, so they brought in some BPT functionality, but limited. So we can't have a UFT and a LeanFT component existing in the same BPT for example. That is a limitation to us. It's a step in the right direction that we can do some of it now, but we're not there.

Light users - it's only been out for a year, and we haven't been using it all of the year, but if you were to compare day to day usage with UFT, I would say it's probably less so. It seems to be a little more stable than UFT. We consistently see UFT crashes and things like that, and it's kind of just our cost of doing business. We're used to it, so when I go back to that staff satisfaction, that's a key factor there as well.

We're limited in our use right now, probably less than 10 people.

I've not had to use HPE tech support for LeanFT.

There is a lot of Selenium usage and that still occurs. A lot of our agile delivery teams are tools in a toolbox, so, they put up the guardrails on the road and say, "Pick where you want to go, as long as you don't go outside of there, you are good."

It's actually fairly straightforward. For us, it's a simple download, pointed at our concurrent license server and we are good to go. I would characterize it as easy. Like I said, it's simple as long as you already have the ID you want to integrate with.

Being frank, the number one reason is it works off our existing UFT licenses. So we already have those procured and existing, so that's an easy transition for us from a cost perspective.

What other advice do I have?

Make sure your staff has the technical skill set to be able to properly use it. I guess I didn't mention that in limitations, but it is a fairly more technical tool than UFT. The UFT, I would say for a non-developer, non-technical person, UFT is easier to grasp and use than LeanFT. So you just have to make sure that skill set is there, and the background is there on your team.

I like the direction that it's heading, and as I said, I'm a servant of my team and they're very excited about the product and excited to see the direction it is heading as well.

More Micro Focus UFT Developer reviews from users
...who compared it with Selenium HQ
Learn what your peers think about Micro Focus UFT Developer. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: June 2021.
513,091 professionals have used our research since 2012.