Micro Focus UFT Developer Review

Easy to deploy and automates many C# test scenarios in my hardware simulator

What is our primary use case?

I am a software developer and at my company, we use this solution for testing a banking ATM application that is written in C#. There is a customer screen that is part of a simulator for physical devices and different scenarios such as card and PIN entry have to be tested. Example test cases can be things like insufficient funds to dispense or it does not have the required bills. Another might be that the printer raises a hardware error. There are approximately 500 scenarios to test and in some, it will reject the transaction.

We have UFT deployed on a TFS server and the test agents are running the scenarios on virtual machines.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the automation of test cases.

What needs improvement?

UFT is sometimes difficult to run. For example, the customer application is represented by an embedded browser control, waiting for input. If I want to recognize the browser then I need to first start the UFT Pro environment. This can be done from Visual Studio or the management console. The problem is that UFT is not able to identify the object that is inside the browser. In one of my test cases where I have to select the card, I need to right-click on a picture and then select an item from a drop-down menu. I had opened a ticket in version 14.02 and I spent two weeks speaking with people from Nigeria, trying to convince them that there is a bug in the software. I was finally redirected to the engineers who solved the bug, but they sent me a DLL patch as opposed to an official update.

The support from Micro Focus needs a lot of improvement.

My simulator is able to create a receipt as if it were printed from the ATM. However, in the current version of UFT, I am not able to perform an OCR on it correctly. The accuracy is about 20%. When I told support that our code was written in C#, they showed us some Java code and were convinced that it would work simply by using Java instead of C#.

I would like the Object Finder Application Center to be improved. It is a plugin that is used to recognize the object on the screen, but it runs very slowly and crashes often.

We have been working with UFT since 2017, almost three years.

I am currently having some issues with stability, although I'm not sure if it can be attributed to UFT Pro or the virtual machine. The errors require me to restart. It may have to do with the simulated environment being 32-bit where the maximum memory is four gigabytes. It is possible that there is an error in the configuration of our virtual machine.

I think that this solution is scalable.

All of our test cases run automatically and this solution is used by our entire team, which is about 15 people.

I would rate technical support a one out of five.

When I ask for something on the Micro Focus page, I never get a reply. It also took me a long time to get a reply and the answers that I received did not always fit my inquiry.

Prior to my work with UFT Pro and C#, two others had been writing tests using UFT Basic. This requires that the tests be written in Visual Basic. They are very slow and the Visual Basic version generates a lot of duplicate code. The C# version allows me to use a special library that helps to avoid code duplication.

The initial setup is straightforward. The deployment took about two hours.

The only issue we had is that the ACL needed to be configured with the firewall.

I deployed UFT Pro on my own.

I did evaluate other options in the interest of changing solutions.

I tried UFT Testpack, which is a library for testing but it isn't very scalable. I also tried Atrium from Selenium, but it only works on Windows 10 and it is unable to automate Java Swing applications. There is a software application from SmarteSoft that is written in Java, but I didn't find a tool that was capable of automating this application.

What other advice do I have?

I requested a trial of the most recent version and I have not yet received a response.

The biggest lesson that I have learned from using this solution is that I cannot automate everything. That had been my initial goal.

Even with the problems that I have mentioned, I think that this is one of the best solutions on the market right now. I tried changing solutions but I was not able to fully automate my application. If they just improve the support then it would be great.

More Micro Focus UFT Developer reviews from users
...who compared it with Selenium HQ
1 Comment

author avatarDavidShephard (Micro Focus)

Thank you for your time and effort in writing this review. It helps us better understand your experiences and also helps guide your peers when they evaluate solutions. It is very positive, which we like to see, especially as your version appears to be several years old, which after speaking with Stefan Untereichner, the Product Manager here at Micro Focus, leads us to highlight a number of major advances made to UFT Developer, as well as providing clarity on a few topics:
• Regarding OCR, UFT Developer’s OCR is also available in the .NET SDK as well (please learn more about this in the Help page for OCR Code Samples: https://admhelp.microfocus.com/uftdev/en/15.0/NetSDKReference/webframe.html#CodeSamples_.NET/CodeEx.NETOCR.htm)
• The Object Finder Application has been improved and has also been renamed to Object Identification Center. After updating to the newest version of UFT Developer, please let us know if the issues still exist.
• We’re sorry you were having issues connecting with customer support. For future issues, please submit your questions via the "Contact Us: UFT Developr" page at https://www.microfocus.com/en-us/products/uft-developer/contact
• For more information on the most recent release of UFT Developer, do read: “Introducing UFT Developer 15.0!” at https://community.microfocus.com/t5/Application-Delivery-Management/Introducing-UFT-Developer-15-0/ba-p/2744050. For software updates, please visit the Software Updates page at https://support.microfocus.com/downloads/swgrp.html. Or for a trial of UFT Developer, please visit the "UFT Developer - Free Trial' page at https://www.microfocus.com/en-us/products/uft-developer/free-trial