Micro Focus UFT Developer Review

Object Model helps us automate our application testing, but the interface could be made more user-friendly for non-programmers

What is our primary use case?

We use UFT Developer during the application testing process.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the Object Model, where you can directly pull up the object as a global or a local. It does not require as much scripting.

What needs improvement?

A basic level of programming knowledge is definitely needed to use this solution. It would be improved by adding a drag-and-drop interface to help alleviate the coding. We are investigating solutions where a layperson, with an interest in automation, can begin to work with the tool.

I have been using this solution for one and a half years.

This is a stable solution and it is used perhaps three times per week.

We may increase our usage in the future but it depends on our clients and their requirements. If their operations increase then our usage will as well.

UFT Developer is easy to scale. I am not sure how many people use this solution in the entire company, although I can say that we have approximately nine people who use it in my group.

The technical support has been fine.

We are also working with Selenium, which is an open-source solution. We did not use another tool before these.

The initial setup is of medium complexity. The deployment took a little longer than we had expected. We had planned for one day and it took a few hours longer than that.

The deployment was done by four to five people from our in-house team. They are mainly IT architects.

The cost of this solution is a little bit high and we are considering moving to another one.

We are considering moving to Katalon Studio in order to save costs. I am also hoping that it will be easier for people with non-programming backgrounds to use.

What other advice do I have?

This is a good solution and I recommend it. I also recommend using Selenium if people want to use a more web-based application.

Overall, Micro Focus UFT is a good tool, but it is a little bit expensive.

I would rate this solution a seven out of ten.

More Micro Focus UFT Developer reviews from users
...who compared it with Selenium HQ
1 Comment

author avatarDavidShephard (Micro Focus)

Posted on behalf of the UFT Developer Product Team:

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with UFT Developer. We’re glad to hear that the Object Model is a valuable feature that reduces scripting for you. Regarding Selenium usage, we’re happy to say that UFT Developer not only integrates with Selenium, but also greatly enhances Selenium usage. Also, UFT Developer can build on existing Selenium tests and even create new reusable Selenium tests within minutes with out-of-the-box IDE templates and an extension for Selenium WebDriver API that adds object locators and an Object Identification Center for more maintainable identifiers. There is more about UFT Developer’s open source integration here: UFT Developer for Selenium - https://admhelp.microfocus.com/uftdev/en/15.0/HelpCenter/Content/HowTo/Sel_LeanFT4SelT.htm

Regarding a ‘level of programming knowledge’ that is necessary for UFT Developer, it is true that UFT Developer is well-suited for the shift left, developer-centered tester. However, UFT Developer also supports Behavior Driven Development (BDD) using the Cucumber testing framework (see: https://admhelp.microfocus.com/uftdev/en/15.0/HelpCenter/Content/HowTo/Cucumber.htm?Highlight=keyword - which defines application behavior with simple English text using the Gherkin language. Another option would be to look at UFT One, our automated functional testing solution which allows for both a keyword-driven GUI testing (see: https://admhelp.microfocus.com/uft/en/15.0/UFT_Help/Content/User_Guide/CreateTestKWD_Task.htm?Highlight=keyword) capability as well as the drag-and-drop interface that is also well-suited for new users.

Please know the Micro Focus support team is always on hand to investigate and help resolve any issues you might be experiencing and are accessible via this link: https://mysupport.microfocus.com/group/softwaresupport/case-manager where you can log a support ticket. Micro Focus also has a very active user forum (see: https://community.microfocus.com/t5/UFT-Developer/ct-p/LeanFT), monitored by our R&D team, where users are welcome to share their thoughts about products, get solutions to issues, and suggest the enhancements which drive our products’ directions. Finally, I would strongly urge you to check out the latest version of Micro Focus UFT Developer 15.0, our most advanced release to date. You can learn more about this release here: https://community.microfocus.com/t5/Application-Delivery-Management/Introducing-UFT-Developer-15-0/ba-p/2744050 or here https://www.microfocus.com/media/what's-new/uft-developer-whats-new.pdf.