UFT (QTP) Review

Automated and consistent regression testing that can be triggered from ALM. I would like integration with ALM Octane.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the automation of the tests. That saves us a lot of time, especially during the regression tests.

How has it helped my organization?

The regression tests run must faster than if you do it manually. It's assured that the tests are always done the same way. If you run these tests manually, the click behavior might be different or there may be errors during the test. These issues are excluded when you automate it. This tool keeps it consistent.

Another benefit is that these tests can be triggered directly from ALM. In ALM, we have test plans and then we execute the tests. That's pretty cool.

What needs improvement?

I would like to see the integration into HPE ALM Octane. I don't know if this is more on the UFT side or on the Octane side, but as a customer, I don't really care. I just want it to work in a manner in which we could use Octane for the HA projects in the same way, more or less, that we use ALM so far in the normal, old projects.

The stability is okay. We don't have problems so far. We had some issues in the past, but during the last month, we haven't had any issues with the stability.

The scalability is good, although it’s not without its problems.

We have a named support engineer for UFT because we have quite a big platform. We provide this as a solution and therefore the service has to be available. That's the reason why we have a named support agent. It works pretty well. We’ve been satisfied with the agent.

About 10 years ago, we had Silk Test. We already had UFT when it was either a Microsoft or a Mercury product. We bought it at that time when it wasn't HPE, and we worked with this product for several years.

It isn’t fair to compare this solution to Silk Test. Even at that early time, UFT was way better and easier to handle, easier to program, and the license management was easier. In the meantime, we didn't compare the products anymore because UFT is fulfilling our needs and the support is okay so there is no reason for us to change.

I wasn’t involved in the installation, but it worked. It wasn't a big hassle.

What other advice do I have?

I would suggest just taking a look at this solution and trying it. It's pretty easy to get in touch with and to have your first success with it. You will then like it and step deeper into it.

1 Comment
author avatarDon Ingerson
ELITE SQUADTOP 5Consultant

The predecessor to UFT was QTP. Also, QTP was originally developed and sold by Mercury before HP acquired it.