Microsoft 365 Business Review

Well-integrated, reasonable price, and good stability, but Microsoft Teams should have better performance and SharePoint should have more features

What is our primary use case?

We are using it for file sharing, office applications, email, and SharePoint.

How has it helped my organization?

We use Microsoft solutions for everything that we do. A part of our software development is done in .NET using Visual Studio and development tools. We use Azure Cloud Platform, and we are also providing services to our client's clients. It would be hard to imagine using something else because we are so used to using Microsoft tools. It is something that you count on having.

What is most valuable?

Everything gets integrated. Different services that they provide are well integrated into the entire system, which is the biggest strength of Microsoft products. Everything works together. If I create a Microsoft Teams theme, I get a SharePoint site and planner. Everything, including permissions, is scoped, which is really nice.

What needs improvement?

Microsoft Teams, which is a video conferencing, chat, and collaboration tool, has some issues with video codecs. It has really bad performance, especially on the Mac OS, and requires a lot of improvements. I'm using MacBook Pro, and the performance of Microsoft Teams is disastrous. It is really unusable. Given our subscription, we get Microsoft Teams for free, but we are often opting to use Zoom or some other tool because the entire computer becomes almost unusable. New age applications should be written in a way that ensures similar performance across different operating systems. I'm not sure how it works on Windows. I assume it works better, but Microsoft needs to ensure that the performance is really good. It should provide the same kind of user experience across different platforms. They can use more efficient development tools when it comes to applications. They seem to be using a technology that uses a lot of resources on our personal computers. I know that Microsoft is pushing a lot of applications to be built in the Office 365 ecosystem, but Microsoft Teams should be a focus because it is a collaboration tool. Its performance and usability need to be better, especially in the times of COVID-19. As a part of management, I use the collaboration tools and video conferencing tools for approximately five or six hours a day. Such issues have a big business impact because the management makes decisions about the tools that are going to be used within the company.

SharePoint could somehow be improved or changed to match the features of Confluence from Atlassian. There is an opportunity to do some improvements there.

We have been using this solution for six or seven years.

It is stable if we exclude the issues with Microsoft Teams. I am the technical director of a company that has 130 employees. I don't remember experiencing any kind of issues. There was an outage for a very short period of time about three months ago, but it was nothing bad. Its stability is great.

It is scalable. Everything that we use is based on a cloud source. It is pretty scalable, especially for our needs.

It is used by the entire company. It is an official tool for document management and business apps. We have 130 employees. Its usage will increase. We have the intention to grow as a company, so we will increase its usage accordingly.

We didn't have too much of a need for technical support or any kind of support, but when we needed it, it was okay. I don't remember which support plan we are subscribed to, but it works okay.

It is pretty much straightforward. It cannot be configured for the first time by someone who is not trained to configure it. You need help from basically your cloud service provider (CSP). Your CSP will provide resources to do the initial configurations. Such tools are not easy to configure for the first time, but everything else is pretty much intuitive. If you have an IT background, it should be intuitive and easy.

Its price is what you would expect today from a software-as-a-service offering. It is somewhere around $10 per user per month.

What other advice do I have?

I would advise making sure that someone experienced with Microsoft Office 365 platform and ecosystem is leading your organization. Otherwise, find a great partner to help you and guide you through the implementation process.

I would rate Microsoft 365 Business a seven out of ten. A couple of things can be better.

More Microsoft 365 Business reviews from users
...who work at a Comms Service Provider
...who compared it with Office 365
Learn what your peers think about Microsoft 365 Business. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: July 2021.
523,372 professionals have used our research since 2012.