Microsoft 365 Defender Review

A unified enterprise defense suite that's very stable, but the price could be better

What is our primary use case?

The primary use case for Defender is to control the endpoint systems at the user level. On the networking level, we use it to analyze spam and see if any antivirus services are required or if there's a ransomware attack. As of now, I am just using it for monitoring.

What is most valuable?

I like that it's stable. It's been stable for a long time, and Microsoft Defender has done a good job there. I can see a lot of changes to Microsoft 365 Defender when I compare what we have now to what we had from 2007 to 2010. They have implemented a ransomware feature, and if any virus comes into the system, it triggers an alert.

What needs improvement?

The price could be better. It'll also help if they can continuously update and upgrade the solution. Every day there's a new virus uploaded into the network, and we have to keep updating it to identify all these things.

I have been using Microsoft 365 Defender since 2007.

Microsoft Defender is very stable, and you can see that there is a 99.9% success rate when they give us good service. It's very helpful for configuring anything.

It's definitely easy to scale. However, scalability depends on the plan and requirements.

They have their norms and regulations that they use once a ticket is created. Whatever the technical issues are, they normally resolve them within the timeline or some days. They are good at the technical side of things.

The initial setup is totally easy. It's not complex. It takes just a couple of minutes to deploy this solution.

The price could be better. Normally, the costs depend on the country you're located in for the license. When we were in the initial stage, we went with the E5 license they call premium standard. It cost us around $5.20 per month for four users.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend Microsoft Defender to new users. I would advise them to understand their exact requirements and check if it matches before taking it up.

On a scale from one to ten, I would give Microsoft 365 Defender a seven.

Find out what your peers are saying about Microsoft, Cisco, Palo Alto Networks and others in Extended Detection and Response (XDR). Updated: May 2021.
510,204 professionals have used our research since 2012.