Microsoft Analytics Platform System Review

Integrated with other Azure products but the real application time monitoring needs to be improved

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case is for monitoring our servers. We have a virtual fleet within Azure and we monitor that.

What is most valuable?

Because we use Azure, it's built into Azure. We probably haven't been using it properly, so there's lots of bits and pieces to Microsoft Analytics. To be quite honest, we've never sat down and formulated a plan on how to use it to a hundred percent. We probably have used a bit of it at the moment.

I like that it's integrated with other Azure products.

What needs improvement?

I think the biggest problem with the product is that it does a data ingest model, which is very expensive.

I have been using Microsoft Analytics Platform System for two to three years.

We haven't had any crashes or issues with. It's pretty stable.

It requires two to three staff members for the maintenance. We use it occasionally, not on a daily basis.

We rarely contact their technical support.

Most of the setup is pretty easy. It's just out of the box. It's already there. We set it up by ourselves.

What other advice do I have?

If you're going to do it, do it seriously. Implement it straight away. Don't do it piecemeal like we've done. Get the best out of it as you can. The trouble is Microsoft has changed their licensing. It's an extremely expensive product now. We are currently paying $200,000 a year for all the different parts of the suite during an ingest model Microsoft now charges us $700,000 a year.

They changed the whole product but and the way it used to be done. You would buy a license per server and now it's an ingest model on data.

I would rate it a four out of ten. To make it a higher score, they should have real application time monitoring. It's not that good. They have to drill back. It's not very interactive.

More Microsoft Analytics Platform System reviews from users
...who compared it with Oracle Big Data Appliance
Find out what your peers are saying about Microsoft, Teradata, Oracle and others in Data Warehouse. Updated: July 2021.
522,693 professionals have used our research since 2012.