Microsoft Azure Active Directory Premium Review

The centralized management feature is very valuable. We do not have to deploy lots of machines to run things as a service.

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case is to simplify directory deployment and centralize source of management. Within our own consulting business, we choose to use Azure AD.

What is most valuable?

The centralized management feature is very valuable. Being able to delete stuff in one place, from any location is really great for us. In addition, we do not have to deploy lots of machines all over the place to run things as a service, which is how we like to deploy things, just as a service. So, this makes it easier to deploy, easy to set up, and work with. It is easy to use, and makes quality of life issues a reality for us.

What needs improvement?

It would be nice if it had some visualization tools. A bit of visualization would be really nice to show your Azure directory structure. It would be very good because you might have sub-domains and odds-and-ends going on. So, a bit of visualization would be really good. Being able to plug it directly into the video to produce models would be a really nice feature.

Less than one year.

The stability is really good. We have not had an issue with it at all. It is always there for us.  As a part of what Microsoft seems to be doing, it is taking away from what dedicated machines that you have to fiddle and tinker with to run services on, and turning them into services you can just access.

My experience with tech support has been really good. I have had a couple of issues where I have logged the ticket with Microsoft, and I had someone on the phone with me regarding the ticket within a half an hour. It was a real technician who really knew what he was talking about. I was very impressed.

We had a problem related to Office 365 and Skype, and not being able to generate a Skype session when everything else seemed to be working. The tech support helped us fix the situation. They have a good depth of knowledge  and it is not just people reading off a script. They are real users, with real experience.

The initial deployment and setup was pretty straightforward. It is pretty easy. It is not that hard to get going, and the thing is that it is quick to integrate well with your Windows.

If you have an existing environment that consists of on-prim AD based environment, then you will want to go with Azure AD. You need to talk to your service provider, or your in-house IT team. Get them involved to help. WE did so, and then we just set up a whole new domain and got rid of the old one, and set up the new one on Azure AD. Microsoft will help walk you through the process.

It looks like they're just making everything as a service and it is pay per user, and that just works for me. It's really good. Gets the cost down and lets you scale if you need it.

What other advice do I have?

It is easy to use, straightforward, and in my language. It does exactly what is says, and does not pretend to be anything else.