Microsoft Azure API Management Review

It's easy to setup and have something going within an hour but configuration exporting from the Admin portal needs work.

Valuable Features

The ability to manage user access to given API operations.

• Visibility on user usage analytics
  • Set policies across API operations, which control the type of access (CORS, JSONP)
  • The ability to piece together an array of services into one proxied service. Where I can create consistency to both usage and documentation

Improvements to My Organization

We were securely able to offer services to external third parties to securely consume within a relatively short amount of time.

Room for Improvement

• Versioning of API operations (which I have heard is in the pipeline)
  • Easy exporting of configurations from the Administrator portal.

Use of Solution

I've used it for around six months or so.

I did follow the prescribed steps to export our Test subscription setup to import into a production subscription environment, but I was unable to achieve the export within the short amount of time I had to achieve it. So to get around the issue, I just manually configured it in the production environment as part of the release.

No issues encountered.

No issues encountered.

Didn't use them.

10/10, as our Microsoft account manager arranged direct contact with members of the API Management Team.

No previous solution used.

Pretty easy. The online documentation is very thorough.

Implementation Team

In-house implementation.

ROI

The product probably saved us at least two to four sprints worth of extra work, which would not have achieved the quality, which this PAS provides us, out of the box.

Pricing, Setup Cost and Licensing

Nothing. Day to Day costs are very minimal, tens of dollars a month or so depending on peaks of usage.

Other Solutions Considered

No. I was evaluating Azure PAS offerings and producing proof of concept solutions just before the project kicked off.

Other Advice

Definitely check it out. The documentation is plentiful and it is pretty easy to setup and have something going within an hour or so.

1 visitor found this review helpful